Johnson 25 HP question

jonboat21

Cadet
Just bought a used 25 hp Johnson (1999) Model Number: j25reeb. It quit on me today, i think because it had old gas in the tank?? will this make a outboard quit running? Im now running 89 Octane and a 50:1 ratio, is this ok? it still will not start any suggestions? It was running fine for about 10 min then just quit, got smoky and smelt bad...anything i can do before i take it to the shop?

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson 25 HP question

welcome to iboats!

old gas would do that.

i would drain the carb and gas tank and refill and try her again.......you may have to clean/rebuild the carb to get all the dried up premix out-----very simple job.

there shouldnt be anything major wrong if it was running today.

you can go tohttp://shop2.evinrude.com
and get parts discriptions and exploded diagrams......drain on the carb is easy to get to.

jonboat21

Cadet

thanks really helpful! I just tried drained the carb and it still didnt start but ill have take it apart and clean it and see what happens

the website was really useful!! thanks

jbjennings

Captain

I would try mixing up a little spray bottle of gas and oil and squirting into your carb throat and trying to start it then. Since you've cleaned the carb bowl of bad gas and possibly water, now that you have good gas the squirt in the carb throat may get it to run enough to clear the bad gas out and start running again. I would make sure the hoses are clean as well. If it doesn't start at all with a squirt or two of premix in the carb. throat, I'd get a 6 dollar spark tester from autozone and use it to see if spark will jump a 1/4 inch air gap. If not, then you have spark problems and will have to explore further.
good luck and let us know if you got it fixed. I have a '99 30hp and it's been a good motor. Very reliable.:)
JBJ

jonboat21

Cadet

I tested the plugs, they were bad so just put two brand new ones in, then tried to crank her and nothing...

I sprayed the carb throat too, Im still not getting a spark, does that mean the coil is bad??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that motor should have a kill switch on it, make sure that it is not engaged. is this a tiller or remote controlled motor?

jonboat21

Cadet

Thats funny you say that today i bypassed the kill switch and it cranked right up...

Its a remote, with stick steering....I think the plug went bad that comes out of the throttle box. Now it runs for two minutes and some loud alarm goes off that is located by the key and throttle box?? what is that alarm?? all the fuses are good...

there was a bunch of wires we had to fix to that were smoking...at one point this motor was a tiller and then converted to stick steering...