Johnson 25 hp J25RCOS overhaul/working out bugs

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I have a Johnson 1985 25 hp outboard I Just picked up and am in the process of working out bugs. I’ve owned several outboards and know my way around them fairly well. Here are the details. This motor had a mouse nest in it and had not run in 20 years, mice got into the wiring so I had to repair the wires leading to charge coil. Just going through it... I rebuilt carb, did water pump, once kit comes I will do the prop shaft seal as some oil is leaking out behind the prop, it initially wasn’t getting spark so I used a multi meter to check resistance and found the power pack to be bad and replaced that. I pulled fly wheel and cleaned up the magnets as well. I greased everything however I couldn’t seem to get grease on all the fittings, I can’t figure out if OMC has a special grease gun or something for those fittings, my handle is pretty stiff.

1st issue I have like a tick in the motor at low speeds, high speeds it seems fine or I just can’t hear it, the noise is resignating through the exhaust above the water, I thought maybe exhaust gasket under power head. I looked up the mid section and didn’t notice anything. I also noticed it’s when I put it in gear I seem to hear it more under a load.

Second issue is I’m having a little tougher time adjusting carb on this motor compared to rest. I adjusted the throttle linkage to sync with butterfly in carb, started the low speed jet at 1 3/4, when I twist it in completely in the engine starts to rev and when I screw it out it wanted to die, in my mind this seems reverse? I would think leaning it out would be screwing it in?

If anyone could shed some light on these two
issue it would be helpful, I’m no expert mechanic Hence posting on this forum asking for some insight. Maybe the motor just sounds like this, but all the ones I’ve had never seemed this loud.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you screw the low speed needle in , you are leaning out the fuel mixture !!