johnson 225 ocean runner boggs out

james221

Cadet
hey guys. i have a 1996 johnson 225 ocean runner. when it starts it has trouble idling and when i put it in gear it boggs out. i can get it going but it doesn't plane out.. wide open it only reaches 2000 rpms. when in neutrul it will rev up, but only to 4000 rpms max... i had some water in my gas, but i emptyed the tank and changed the water seperator.. it doesn't seem to have any water in it anymore. any suggestions? also i put new carbs in it a few months ago so i wouldn't think that would be the problem.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson 225 ocean runner boggs out

Have you done a compression test to the cylinders yet?

Larry

james221

Cadet

no not recently, when i bought it (in march) it supposabley had good compression then.

Walker

Captain

Your carbs probably have water/crud in them. Do compression test, spark test and if all is well overhaul the carbs.

james221

Cadet

is it a pretty big deal to clean out the water/crud in the carbs?

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

get a manuel, that will help a lot. On my 112 it is so easy to pull of the carbs, I can do it in 30mins.

Larry

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah it's not too hard, but you will need the manual to do it right. Make sure you soak them rather than just spray them out and do the link and sync procedure.

Also I'd stay away from revving it any higher than 2000 in neutral, not the best thing for it.

clint

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Johnson 225 ocean runner boggs out

Johnson 225 ocean runner boggs out

Sounds like water and crud ended up in your carb. How is your compression? Do a compression check first to see if you have good compression. If all looks good there I would remove carbs and do a complete rebuild. Also check your fuel pump and clean it also.
Clint 8)

Jason Edwards

Seaman

James, this is a little off of the topic but what kind of boat do you have you Johnson pushing? I have a 200 Oceanrunner and I am curious as to what kind/size of prop you are using. Thanks

Jason