Johnson 1972 65HP

HarryHydro

Cadet
Hi Folks:<br /> Just this season, this engine started as usual, but stalled in a couple of seconds. Then it bound up, then cranked, and wouldn't start. The lower cylinder was soaked with water when I pulled the plug. I started it right up with this plug out. This blew the water out, put it back in, ran the rest of the day OK. <br /> Now it's gotten worse. The center cylinder has a small amount of water. I got it started in the yard, in a big box of water, and with the bottom plug out. It was almost spraying water out of this cylinder. I pulled the head off, and seen water mainly in the lower exhaust port. When cranking, the water dumps out of the cylinder. It looks like the intake port is dry, thank GOD. <br /> I have just (about 10 minutes ago) gotten the exhaust 'manifold' off. Now when cranking, there is no water coming into this cylinder. I am 99% convinced the gaskets in the manifold are leaking. I think there is a gasket in the middle of this thing, making 3 gaskets for this manifold. I'm 'baking' it now, hopefully to separate this gasket. All the screws came out without snapping, but it felt like they would!<br /> As per this design, the lower and middle cylinders have the exhaust ports exit the cylinder and go UPward and then back down to the lower unit. The water was dumping and puddling in the lower cylinder. Dangerous! I'm glad now my battery isn't that strong or I might have bent a rod!<br />I'll keep you posted. I seen someone with a similar problem<br />Take Care! :rolleyes: <br />Harry<br /><br />Hi Again!<br /> I've gotten the exhaust manifold off and apart. Here is a picture of the culprit, a broken gasket: http://www.harryhydro.com/ex_manifold.jpg <br />That hole is a drain hole. I'd think this gasket should be a high temp type, but I think it's just cork. The other gaskets looked OK, except for me tearing them on removal. Now just waiting on gaskets!<br />Thanks! :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 1972 65HP

Good work, Harry. That looks like the culprit ta me to. Get 'er back together and lettus know if that took care of it. <br /><br />G'luck & c/6<br />Hooty

HarryHydro

Cadet
Re: Johnson 1972 65HP

Originally posted by Hooty:<br /> Good work, Harry. That looks like the culprit ta me to. Get 'er back together and lettus know if that took care of it. <br /><br />G'luck & c/6<br />Hooty
Hi Hooty!<br /> Well, I bought some of the gaskets, the others were taking to long and the engine was seizing every couple of days with it open! I kept 'blasting' it with PB blaster. I reused the old head gasket, and cut the outer manifold gasket myself. I did this just the past Saturday. Took it out Sunday and it's running great! Experimenting with a less radical pitch, too. 19" to 13". Get's on plane with less throttle!<br />Take Care!<br />Harry