Johnson 1961 10hp flywheel

jakedanster

Recruit
How do I hold the spring loaded cam assembly in place so I can reinstall the flywheel, after setting the points? This is a mdl QD 22, 1961 10hp Johnson.
Help me.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1961 10hp flywheel

I can't think of anything you have to hold in place on any of the E/J motors
of that era.Do you have a picure or description.Is this under the flywheel?

eavega

Lieutenant

I have a buddy of mine with the same motor and he complains about the same thing. His best solution is to have an extra pair of hands and a long screwdriver. One person holds the spring-loaded cam in place with the screwdriver through the inspection window on the flywheel, while the other person lowers the flywheel onto the shaft. Once the flywheel is in place, you can make any point adjustments through the inspection window. I haven't done it myself, but was told by my buddy about this "gotcha" since I had a QD-21 for a little while. I never got around to changing out the points & coils on it, though.

-Eric

freddyray21

Commander

I am at a loss also. I am not aware of a spring loaded cam on those either. Post a pic.

jakedanster

Recruit

I have a buddy of mine with the same motor and he complains about the same thing. His best solution is to have an extra pair of hands and a long screwdriver. One person holds the spring-loaded cam in place with the screwdriver through the inspection window on the flywheel, while the other person lowers the flywheel onto the shaft. Once the flywheel is in place, you can make any point adjustments through the inspection window. I haven't done it myself, but was told by my buddy about this "gotcha" since I had a QD-21 for a little while. I never got around to changing out the points & coils on it, though.

-Eric
Thanks. I put a small zip tie between the contacts so the cam could move down as I put on the flywheel. When the points were just above the bottom of the cam, I pulled out the zips. That worked for me. Then I used the inspection window for final adjustments. Thanks again.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Is the points cam really part of the flywheel on that model? What genius at OMC decided that was a good idea?

Cheers................Todd