Johnson 15hp telltale not "peeing"

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been resurrecting a 1980 Johnson 15HP (model number J15RLCSD), which I bought knowing the telltale did not 'pee'. I assumed it would need a water pump anyway, so I am going to do that next weekend. Cool water comes out of the upper exhaust port, but the telltale does not pee. <br /><br />while running the engine and trying to flush it out, I ran a wire up the telltale port to make sure it wasn't blocked, and I noticed hot water/water vapor coming out of it. The motor did get a bit hot, so I shut it down.<br /><br />Should a water pump alone fix this problem? Water seemed to be coming out of the upper exhaust just fine, but hot water and water vapor dripped out of the telltale. I know it needs a water pump ANYWAY, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for something else as well.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 15hp telltale not "peeing"

I would think that a new water pump should fix it, but would also replace the thermostat while I was doing it. These 15 [and 9.9] telltales seem to plug up easily, although they can usually be cleared with just the "wire poking method". You should be able to touch the cylinder head for several seconds without it getting too hot to stand.

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Jim, I'm just up the road from you in Morris County. I just did a similar job on my 15hp Evinrude. If your problem is not solved and you want to contact me you can email or come back to this forum. Dude31142@aol.com

kiwijim

Recruit

Originally posted by Dude:<br /> Hi Jim, I'm just up the road from you in Morris County. I just did a similar job on my 15hp Evinrude. If your problem is not solved and you want to contact me you can email or come back to this forum. Dude31142@aol.com

kiwijim

Recruit

I'm about to change my impellor and thermostat on a Johnson 15HP but do not have any directions.<br />Anyone able to give me a quick run down on doing this job.<br /><br />I was also told that I may have to take the powerhead of and change a bushing so any help on that would also be appreciated.<br />Thanks Kiwijim

phatmanmike

Captain

you need, and notice i say NEED, a manual before ANY bolts are removed from that motor