Johnson 155 Warning Horn Help Pelase

CUCULANDRA

Cadet
Okay This Is The Problem I Am Having, After The Boat Idles For About A Minute Or 2 The Warning Horn Starts Chirping, ( Not Constant Yet) And The Engine Will Not Rev Past 2800 Rpm Or So. So That Is Safe Mode Right? Well I Dropped The Lower Unit Changed The Water Pump And Gaskets Impeller (everything) I Also Changed The Thermostats. Fired It Up Got A Steady Stream But Then That Horn Chirps Again... I Checked The Temp With A Temp Gun And It Read 155- 163 On Bothe Cylinders. If I Rev The Motor After A While It Will Chirp Constant Untill I Let Off The Throttle. Then It Just Chirps On And Off But Still Won't Rev Past 2800 Rpm Or So. Now If I Unplug Both Temp Sensors Then The Horn Still Chirps On And Off But The Engine Will Rev Past 2800 Rpm. What Do You Guys Think It Is? Please Help

CUCULANDRA

Cadet
Re: Johnson 155 Warning Horn Help Pelase

I Will Like To Add This Engine Is A 1991 Johnson 155hp Commercial. The Oil Is Pre-mix. Thank You

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A constant horn is an overheat. Obviously that is not the problem. Any other horn will relate to the VRO system. A chirp every 20 seconds means the oil reservoir tank needs to be filled. (the sensor in the tank is exposed.) The shorter, periodic chirp relates to a problem with the VRO pump. Any of these three system warnings will set the SLOW system and reduce RPM's. If you are running premix, you should be OK. You can disconnect the wires to the VRO systems and the horn should go away. Leave the temp sensors hooked up.

CUCULANDRA

Cadet

Thank You For The Reply, I Am Running Pre-mix. But I Have No Idea What Wires To Disconnecton The Vro Pump, Can You Please Tell Me Witch One's. It Does Not Beep Constant. It Just Beeps Like Half A Second On Every Second.

CUCULANDRA

Cadet
Re: Johnson 155 Warning Horn Help PLEASE

Re: Johnson 155 Warning Horn Help PLEASE

Problem Fixed For Now....
I Took It To The Water Because My Neighbors Were Calling The Cops.. Hehehehe
As Soon As I Unnpluged The Vro The Beeping Stopped Since I Pre-mix It I Do Not Need That Plugged In. My Friend Plugged It Back In Thinking It Should Be Plugged In When He Looked At It Yesturday.
As Far As The Temperature Beeping Witch Was Constant And Tripped The S.l.o.w. Mode. I Unnplugged The Starbord Temp Sensor And As Soon As I Did And Turned The Motor Off The Engine Would Come Out Off S.l.o.w. Mode And The Horn Will Not Beep. I Checked The Temp On Both Of The Heads And It Was Good. I Opened The Thermostat Housing And Ran The Engine Water Was Coming Out, So That Means It Was Flowing Threw The Head. Right? Well I Guess I Have To Replace That Temp Sensor. Anyone Know How To Take That Out? Do I Have To Take The Head Off The Motor Or Can I Just Pull It By The Wire?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to remove the head cover (not the whole head) and get the temp sender out.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Heat switches, installed in each cylinder head, are in series with a "HOT" warning horn in the remote control box. Should an irregularity develop in the cooling system and cause abnormal water jacket temperatures, the switches close the warning circuit. To remove switches for testing, pull back insulating sleeves and open knife terminal connections. Remove cylinder head covers and switches. On installation, clean gasket surfaces thoroughly. Apply gasket sealing compound lightly to both gasket surfaces. Also apply the same sealing compound to top surface of heat switch grommet and again after cover has been installed. Install cylinder head cover using a new gasket. Reconnect heat switch leads and slide insulating sleeves over connections.