Johnson 155 Trim/Power tilt Motor

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My manual says to remove entire hydraulic Power Trim/Tilt unit in order to change the Tilt Motor. Is it possible to change this motor without removing entire unit? And do I have to drain the fluid to change out the tilt motor? It is a 1984 Johnson 155 and as you know removing bolts can be quite a task, and sometimes a can of worms. :(

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson 155 Trim/Power tilt Motor

Hi Mike..<br /><br />I am doing just that right now on an older Johnson, its a nightmare getting the bolts out.. particularly the big one that runs though both rams at the bottom.<br /><br />the two smaller bolts at the top of the ram are just as bad, mostly because there is no easy way to get to the inside of them to apply any force. last time I did this I was forced to drill the head off one of them and use it as a punch to push the other one out..<br />This time I am trying to avoid doing that.<br /><br />its not easy,, but it can be done.. all you can do is soak in lots of penetrating oil, use some heat on the surrounds, and hit it, (the bolts), hit them hard..<br /><br />I am 3/4 of the way through this one, and I have yet to damage any of the bolts, it would seem that you get better at it with pratice :)<br /><br />I am taking my whole unit (both rams, pump and all piping out in one unit because it seems like it might be better to not disconnect anything till after I get it out and clean it up.. so far so good.. sorry I can't be more specific to your setup.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, Message to FRANK, this unit is different than yours. This unit is a one piece unit mounted between the transom brackets. For the most part it is easier to change the tilt motor with the tilt unit removed. One of the mounting bolts for the motor can not be reached. Sometimes you can just remove the transom bracket on that side and get to it, but that's not the best way, especially if the outboard motor is on the boat. Besides if you remove the complete unit, you can lubricate the pivot pin.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Michaelr, <br />To answer your first question, yes. Raise the engine all the way up and block it in place. Remove the center ram pin under the engine. If I remember right there are three bolts on either side of the the lower part of the tilt assy. remove the rear two from either side then tilt the whole assy. rearward, now you can access that hidden screw behind the motor. Take the three screws out and remove the motor. To answer your second question no it's not nessary to drain the oil,some may be spilled but you can refill the reservoir after the new motor is installed. I have changed several of these that way.<br />Hope this helps

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks almost retired again.<br />Your post is just the solution I needed.<br />I appreciate your time and expertise.<br />MichaelR :)