Johnson 150 leaking carbs

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 96 Johnson 150 FastStrike that is leaking badly from one of the carbs. My mechanic said he found it leaking around a "B-B" in one of the bowls. I found this in another post on the site:<br /><br />"I've just been introduced to this site, and probably too late. Any way, your carbs should be of the black plastic body variety. Are you certain of the location of the leak? Floatbowls have a built in leak defect. On the starboard side of the lower portion of the bowl, you'll find a stainless ball pressed into a recess where the bowl was cross-drilled when manufactured. Over time these balls loosen and start to leak, sometimes profusely, all over the carb below and down the front of the lower unit. Also causes foul running at startup, while that portion of the bowl refills. I've been able to seal some by tapping the ball back in, and sealing it with 3-M weatherstrip adhesive. Might be worth a look."<br /><br />DOES ANYONE KNOWS ANY MORE ABOUT THIS? Is it safe to seal the ball back in? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 150 leaking carbs

We've never tapped on them or messed with the location but we've resealed quite a few. I use a standard 2 part epoxy. Just clean the bowl and BB area real good first. We just do it anytime we rebuild one of those carbs.

angus63

Captain

I dabbed one of mine with marinetex and hasn't weeped a drop in 2 years.<br />Good luck

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I'll try it and report on the results.

drbobp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, all! My mechanic epoxied the hole and it is no longer leaking.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the update!