Johnson 115 V4 J115TLERC PTT not working - only clicking

Floatin77

Cadet
I’m having some trouble with the Power tilt/ trim on my Johnson 115 (J115TLERC)… when pressing the buttons on the throttle and/ or on side of engine I can hear “clicking” each time I press the button in either direction. The motor is currently stuck in the lowest position and my boat is docked in the water- I’m hoping to be able to trouble shoot while it’s still in the water. The trim/ tilt seemed to work right before I launched the boat for the first time this year and during our first trip out it went up once and then down and since that time that’s where it has been stuck. Any help/ guidance is much appreciated!

oildriver

Cadet
I had this problem last year. I pulled the boat at the municipal dock after hours. After checking for water in the lower unit,I opened the manual release, raised the engine with a floor jack, installed a new tilt motor, and it solved my problem. Even changing tilt motors requires a good set of 1/4" drive ratchet set with a swivel to get the back left bolt.
Your problem may not be so easy.If you find water, then a seal or more than one is bad. If it is hydraulic, then you already have it out of the water. Either problem requires a mechanic. None of these can be done in the water.

Floatin77

Cadet
I had this problem last year. I pulled the boat at the municipal dock after hours. After checking for water in the lower unit,I opened the manual release, raised the engine with a floor jack, installed a new tilt motor, and it solved my problem. Even changing tilt motors requires a good set of 1/4" drive ratchet set with a swivel to get the back left bolt.
Your problem may not be so easy.If you find water, then a seal or more than one is bad. If it is hydraulic, then you already have it out of the water. Either problem requires a mechanic. None of these can be done in the water.
I was hoping a mechanic wouldn’t be necessary…though I have cast a message out to a local bot mechanic in the area to see if he can advise but not sure when I will hear from him. Thanks for the info though!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
there is a set of wires going to the T&T motor from the relays. all the relays do is alternate +/- volts from the battery.
1655645241209.png
try to locate and disconnect the wires and apply your own BAT + and BAT-
to see if the motor in the T&T reacts.

IF it does work then backtrack to the relays to find out why B+ and B_ are not passed on t the T&T motor.

if T&T remains dead trace wires to the T&T motor and check for breaks,

Last edited: