Johnson 115 V4 1977 overheat

promotec

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys I have a Johnson 115 V4 1977 115el77 on the back of my 17ft Cruisecraft runabout, while out the other day the alarm buzzer came on and the engine was overheating, I was in the middle of getting unstuck of sandbanks where I had been grounded for a couple of hours.<br /><br />The engine stopped and wouldnt restart (Not seized)I had to be towed back in, the buzzer sensor plastic or rubber surrounds melted in the head cover so it must have been pretty hot, back home I noticed one of the water hoses to the cylinder water jacket had come off. I have done a compression test (while cold)<br />Starboard were 122 top and 122 bottom <br />Port side where about 110-115 top 105 bottom<br />This is pushing the 15 psi varience mentioned in other posts, but still above the recomended 100psi on all 4 cylinders, the motor did start when i tried today after compression test but I turned it straight of due to a hose being still loose, after that it wouldnt restart.<br /><br />Would this show a blown haed gasket or could this be due to a need for a decarb or something like that, I plan to do the impeller and thermostat as the motor was running hot anyway according to the temp gauge, but the day before this happened I had just purchased a $2000.00 new boat trailer so funds to spend on the boat are very restricted for a while so want to get away as cheaply as possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

dolluper

Captain
Re: Johnson 115 V4 1977 overheat

fix your hose and try to start it again let us know what happens start in the water

ledgefinder

Ensign

How long was the buzzer on before you stopped?<br /><br />A compression diff in that range is most likely mild scoring. Could also be a stuck ring, or the first sign of a cracked ring or piston land. I'd re-torque the heads & decarb. <br /><br />Best practice would be to pull both heads & take a look. Not much of a job on those V4s. USE NEW HEAD GASKETS (about $20 each at the dealer) when putting it back together, and don't pull the heads if you don't plan on putting new gaskets in. Otherwise, I wouldn't rely too much on the engine (don't go far out in the ocean) until you see how it's doing. <br /><br />That motor's probably not worth rebuilding, so ust retorque, decarb & go might make sense. If it's shot, it's shot - you're not going to rebuild it. On the other hand, the new gaskets will help you see what shape it's in, internally, also the old ones may have been damaged from the heat soak.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Guys thanks for your advise, the buzzer was only going a few minutes ( I didnt know what it was at that stage) The engine wont start, I wouldnt have thought that the compression as listed above would stop the engine starting, the battery is a bit low from messing around trying to get it started plus compression testing Ill recharge that and see then if it will start, failing that ill do the head gaskets (with new ones)then see what sort of result I get.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Those compression readings are not all that bad. Let us know the outcome.<br /><br />I don't agree with ledgefinder if money is an issue in your life. A new 115 is going to run $6,500-7,000 (iBoats). You can get a rebuilt powerhead for under $1,500 and spend less if you do it yourself.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Well I have played around with the motor as time allows and found that there is no spark, I have taken the advice offered on this forum to diagnose "no spark Probs" eg disconnecting the big red plug, and then trying for spark also have tryed with the kill wire from the power pack disconnected to ensure that this wasnt causing the no spark probs, I have read through hundreds of posts on this forum re no spark probs, it is looking as though it is the powerpack or stator<br />but dont have a multimeter to test ohms etc to further diagnose the problem. Would overheating cause a failure in the powerpack or stator?<br /><br />Thanks guys Ill keep my results posted as I progress, so others may also benefit from my experiences and the answers that are supplied to my thread.<br />Kind Regards Chris

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

<FONT size=2><FONT color=#000033 size=3> I purchased a digital <br />multimeter, recharged the battery, the battery isnt spinning starter very fast with plugs <br />in</FONT></FONT><br /><FONT size=2><FONT color=#000033 size=3>fine with them out</FONT></FONT><FONT color=#000033>but will check that out once getting the motor sparking <br />and running.</FONT><br /><br /><FONT size=2><FONT color=#000033 size=3>Okay guys heres the results of some <br />testing I have done to ascertain why I have no spark</FONT></FONT><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033> I <br />would welcome some feedback on these results </FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033>Joe Reeves feedback would ge great as I have </FONT><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033>followed many of his posts and used much of his advice <br />:)</FONT> <br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2><FONT color=#000033 size=3>No spark at <br />plugs</FONT></FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033 size=2>Tested with plugs out, no spark</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033 size=2>Disconnected big red plug, no spark</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033 size=2>Disconnected black/yellow kill switch wire from <br />powerpack, no spark </FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT color=#000033 size=2>tried with and without big red plug connected, no <br />spark either way.</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2><FONT color=#000033 size=3>Stator <br />Test</FONT>     <br />As listed on forum as follows <br />(posted by Joe Reeves)</FONT><FONT size=2><br />"The ohm reading between the Brown <br />wire and the Brown/Orange wire should be 630 ohms +/- 75 ohms."</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>Result: brown and brown/yellow wires at <br />powerpack position  7 & 8    tested <br />at     642 ohms resistance</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>"The stator yellow wires.... Ohm meter on high ohms. You should <br />obtain a reading between them but not between either of them and ground. This <br />would indicate the stator is fine."</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>Result: yellow wires at terminal block from the stator y/g & <br />y when red test lead to one, black test lead to the other reading of 0.00 no <br />resistence. This could be the problem</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>yellow/grey tracer wire on position 6 of <br />terminal block,  when red test lead to yellow/grey, black test lead to <br />ground = no resistance</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>yellow wire on position 5 of terminal block, <br />when red test lead to yellow  black test lead to <br />ground = resistance <br />reads at about 22-30 and bounces around alot. This could be the <br />problem</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2><FONT size=3>Small Three Wire Rectifier <br />Test</FONT><br />as per Joe Reeves tutorial (thanks Joe)<br />Result: all <br />results achieved as per the above resistance tests   no probs <br />here</FONT><br /><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2><FONT size=3>Sensor Coil Low Ohms <br />Test</FONT> <br />Manual says  8.5 + or - 2</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>sensor leads 2 & 4 on powerpack  tested on 200 ohms <br />scale (between both leads)   12.2 ohms</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>sensor leads 9 & 12 on powerpack  tested on 200 ohms <br />scale (between both leads)      12.5 ohms</FONT><br /><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2><FONT size=3>Sensor Coil high Ohms <br />Test</FONT> <br />Manual says  infinity, 0 would indicate short to <br />ground<br />meter on high end scale 2000k</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>black test wire to ground red test wire to powerpack lead <br />2   approx   1650 ohms<br />black test wire to ground red test <br />wire to powerpack lead 4   approx   1650 ohms<br />black test <br />wire to ground red test wire to powerpack lead 9   approx   <br />1650 ohms<br />black test wire to ground red test wire to powerpack lead <br />12   approx   1650 ohms</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>none of the above testing as zero.</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>Powerpack didnt find a good post that details testing that with <br />a multimeter (digital)</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>It appears that the fault could be with the stator, could this <br />of happened through the motor overheating ?</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>anyone know what a stator is worth here in <br />Australia.?</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>Thanks for all your guys help and advice.</FONT><br /><br /><br /><FONT size=2>Kind regards Chris</FONT> :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you change head gaskets and deflectors before you get it running. Once it starts it may pump water past the head gaskets (its likely they're blown or damaged). If the deflectors are out of shape and place the motor may overheat again.

dolluper

Captain

6amp 247 us 12 amp 257us new price plus shipping

cbelgum

Cadet

I recall seeing a post that said you should check the stator magnets(?) were properly stuck in place. They do come loose. It may be that you need to take the flywheel off and check, if the engine got very hot it might have affected it. Sorry it is not very precise - perhaps someone else can be more detailed on it.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Dhadley <br />Yes I will be doing the head gaskets, t-stats, waterpump etc, Im actually waiting on a manual arriving from the USA, it will be a week off yet, Im using a library copy at present but its in their reference section so cant borrow it, just read it there but its still a great help.<br />Hi dolluper <br />Thanks I had seen some USA pricing, Ill have to extablish whether mine is a 6 or 12 amp as parts lists have both listed for the 77 model 115 johnies.Suppose i may be able to see whats in it once pulled down.<br />Hi Seabee61<br />This is something I can check once getting the flywheel off, I have to locate a three legged puller to borrow to do this.<br /><br />I would be keen on someone commenting on the readings i have posted from the yellow and yellow/gray wires from the stator as going by Joe Reeves posted tests these are giving results that would indicate a prob with the yellow stator wire<br />or whatever its connected to (the stator or an aspect of it) any feedback from you electronic buffs would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks guys your feedback is much appreciated and a great assistance in familiarizing myself with this motor etc.<br />Kind regards Chris

badbillr

Recruit

my '84 140hp evinrude over-heated. you have to replace the over-heat sensors, they are one time use. replace head gaskets as they go bad from heating. had to replace power pack, it is water cooled and sits on top of exhaust, on top of motor. i replaced the t-stats and phenolic plate as well. old stats were frozen shut. your compression doesn't sound half bad. if this is a bubble back exhaust, t-stats are no easy to change. i had to do it in two step. whole thing won't go together in one shot, i used 3/8" copper tubing, cut to 1" pieces, slid on to bolts to act as bushings. using sealant, put t-stats, springs, bypasses, and black plastic plate on the motor and tighten. after glue sets up, remove bolts, remove copper bushings, now you can put the outside cover on w/o the other parts springing apart on you.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Hi badbillr <br />Thanks for your feedback, yes headgaskets will be replaced, including overheat sensor (its melted)<br />will also replace t-stats and waterpump, etc <br />The t-stats arent a problem on my 77 115, it isnt bubbleback,I have already had the cover off them<br />and there was pieces missing from what I think is the release/bypass valve which sits above the t-stat on my motor, my powerpack isnt watercooled i dont think it sits on top at the back of motor between the heads all the above isnt a problem as such the big thing i want to establish first is why there isnt any spark on any cylinders.<br />I suspect the stator due to test results I got when using Joe reeves test tutorial for the stator the yellow and yellow/gray wires from the stator are giving no reading with a ohms meter<br />and when testing the yellow wire with red test lead, and the black test lead to ground im getting a resistance reading which apparently I shouldnt get.<br />Thanks for your input badbillr much appreciated.<br /><br />Kind regards Chris