johnson 115 please help

I have what I taught was a 1977 model but it appears I am wrong. The lower part of engine is black the cover is white with raised Johnson logo. And it has a tell tail coming from the exhaust baffle near cylinder 3. Can you give me a year range from this info? Also the baffle is flat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: johnson 115 please help

Look at the model number located on the data plate and also stamped into the freeze plug on the top of the block. Things can get swapped, changed, painted etc since the late 70's.

Welcome aboard! Post that number and we can go from there.

I drive a truck for a living and I'm currently not home I have some pictures if that will help. But I don't know how to post them. Lol

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Guessing, anywhere from '73 to '77.

I was told by previous owner a 77 but the tell tail looks like it came from factory that way and to my understanding the 115 didn't get a tell tail until 79 is this correct

boobie

Supreme Mariner

But it's got the '73 to'77 ignition. '78 and up was different. The tell tale looks like factory , but the hose is to short and a longer hose should be run over the top of the block.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

model identification 2.jpgThe telltales came out in 78. All the crossflow blocks up through 77 had the same powerhead bottom/exhaust adapter configuration. That bottom/exhaust adapter configuration changed in 78 when OMC went to the dual thermostat housing. Your powerhead has the single vernatherm thermostat, so it's no newer than a 77. The powerheads either side of that year are not interchangeable for that reason. Very likely the outer exhaust covers are interchangeable-maybe the prior owner just replaced the cover with a later model. Save all the drilling/tapping for the telltale hose barb. Easy to drill a hole in the lower cowling cover. Back in this timeframe, the powerheads were painted the same color as the rest of the engine. Looks like the powerhead was changed. If you don't have a serial tag on the transom bracket, look for a round casting disc on the top of the block-it will have the serial and model number....what does it say?

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the telltale is mounted low on the block, water tends to exit via the telltale, instead of filling the block first. Routing the hose up over the block, assures the block fills with cooling water before any of it exits the telltale. Usually this is not a huge deal, since most telltales have restrictor nozzles which limit water flow. Some engines did not, just an open hose-those are more the problem and the reason for this gimmick technique.

Did I read somewhere that these old Johnson had problematic with #1cylinder overheating BC of air getting trapped and moving the tell tail up over the block would work as a air block BC the tell tail line would be the highest part of the cooling system and air would get trapped there and not in the cylinder or was I dream reading lol

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You probably read it some place as I did. Can't remember if it was in an old service bulletin or in service school. They did the same thing on the cross flow v-6 's.