Johnson 115 Lower Unit No Oil

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I had my lower unit re-sealed about 2 weeks ago. I told them not to replace the oil, as I have a quart of HPF that I wanted to use.

I haven't gotten around to filling it up with oil yet, so it's been sitting for about 2 weeks or so without oil. I will be filling it up this weekend.

I was just wondering if it's a bad idea to leave the lower unit without oil in it, can anything rust inside there, even though it's just sitting in the garage?

I know they used some type of parts cleaner when they did the re-seal, because I can smell it and see it on the lower plug when I pulled it out. So it occured to me that any oil residue has been stripped off.

Also is there a good way to get any remaining parts cleaner out of the unit before I fill it, should I just pump some fluid in and then let it drain out and then fill it up?

Thanks for the help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 115 Lower Unit No Oil

If there is any type of warranty on the reseal job, I would probably want to ask the guys that are providing the warranty.

IMHO, I would have added oil right away, but I doubt that you will have any problems. Having had the plugs in is good.

I wouldn't recommend flushing the lower unit with anything like transmission fluid, diesel, etc. I certainly wouldn't recommend running it in gear that way.

The main reason being that you can never get all of it back out. What remains in the LU will work against the new oil by changing its viscosity, anti-foaming properties, and overall performance as a high pressure gear lubricant. Seals, particularly on older outboards, could even be jeopordized. Some contamination could become dislodged and actually cause worse problems.

Do a good drain, with the LU in the best tilt position for draining, as there may be some condensation build up. Possibly let it drain over night. Refill with a quality LU oil.

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Chris. I wasn't gonna put anything in the LU except LU oil. I was thinking about just pumping some left over LU oil I have sitting around, into it then letting that drain out to get any remaining parts cleaner out, and then re-filling with the HPF I have, which is great lube.

Just hope I didn't damage anything by leaving it without oil for 2 weeks.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get the oil in it. should be fine, as the plugs were in it, so it go minimum exposure to air.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

You should be fine, I've done this before, dropped the LU oil, then realized I didn't have new crush washers for the plugs, couldn't get them until middle of the week and then replaced the lube the following weekend or so.

You might try getting something cheaper than the HPF, regular LU lube, filling it up with that, then draining it all out before you re-fill with the HPF. That should get all of the parts cleaner or anything else out of there.

But I agree, since it's been sitting with the plugs in, and inside, you should be fine.