Job Security

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Okay I would like to know when so called "Job security" is known as too much work? Of the six years of working for this company, the first 4 were with myself and another. Two years ago the older worker retired. I have been doing the job of both since. I keep telling my boss that it would be great to have another person.<br /><br />Before I was able to do more preventive maintenance as well as complete overhaul on equipment. During the winter months before, I was able to overhaul about 4 ice cream freezers. Now I'm barely able to get one done through the winter. I still have one in the shop since the end of October.<br /><br />I hate to look for another job, but being overwhelmed with work is beyond job security. Hobart has been wanting me for awhile now, but the pay is way less than I'm getting now. A 40 hour work week would be nice again. Lately it has been 50 to 60. Being on a salery was nice when it was only 40 a week, but now it down right stinks!<br /><br />Any suggestions on how to handle this?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Job Security

I feel your pain. I average 60 plus hours a week from March to October, then I starve through winter, drawing unemployment most of the time. The problem is there are no other jobs that pay as well, so I just think of the winter as "unpaid vacation". When I think about looking for other jobs, I go back to what my requirements would have to be to leave my current job. There would have to be a dramatic increase in income, mostly outdoor/autonomous work (I hate being in building), and full bennies. Notanything like that available, so I just keep doin' what I am doin'. It could be worse, you could be living out of a box or working at McDonalds.<br /><br />Ask for a raise. If they won't give it to you, demand that they justify it in writing by noting bad/inefficient performance. If you have performed well, and it has been at least a year since your last pay increase, then let them know that you may have to think about your options. I did that last year and got a nice raise on the spot. Sometimes you have to yell to be heard. You have to let them know that you are choosing to work for them as much as they are choosing to employ you. Good luck...

11 footer

Lieutenant

I suggest talking to you boss about how much work you have and tell him that you really need someone else.<br /><br />Their is this guy who works for my dad, he works right under him and is pretty much his "right hand man" he's very important. My dad is always worried about looseing him and makes a point of talking to him a lot and letting him know how important he is, its never good when someone who works for you be feel <br />"overworked".<br /><br />Talk to him and let him know how you feel, it sounds like you do a lot for him, he'll want to keep you happy.<br /><br />Good luck! :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

DOH! :p I do work for McDonalds Jason, :D <br />However I don't have anything to do with the service and operation. I just keep all the equipment working. Maybe I should let some stuff be broke for long periods of time, oops that happens to! :p

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good luck, sorry to say it but you made the unfortunate mistake of doing the work of two men for one salary and you're probably stuck with it. Your boss sees no reason to add a warm body to the payroll when you're doing the extra work for free. Next time try to negotiate a deal before you take on the extra responsibility, this give you some leverage. One of the basic principles of management is to give every person more work then they can possibly handle and watch then feel obligated and try like crazy, another is to never, ever, let a subordinate get the upper hand, you could quit and they might have to hire 3 guys to do what you do at twice the salary but they still won't reimburse you adequately whike you're there, it's just the way management works. I know, I did it for 31 years, and we always won cuz we made up the rules as we need them. ;) Please take this as constructive criticism because I'm not knocking you, in my early years I made the same mistake. :eek:

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

BE UNION, BE PROUD! <br /> Contact the local machinists union and ask for help organizing, you only need a simple majority of your fellows to sign up and petition the employer to recognize your union. Its one of the things being fought for in Iraq.<br /><br /> Now an easier approach, <br />You are definitely suffering from stress, long hours. Your physician should order you time off for stress management, as a paid sick time, and upon your return limit your hours to what ever is appropriate for your condition (boating ok). <br /> You work for an employer who employees more that 75 workers in a contiguous area, you can apply for FMLA, family medical leave act. God bless NOW> <br /> And take the time you need up to 60 working days per year off, even in increments of 1/2 hour if needed. This is time that you cannot be disciplined, or loose any benefit what ever if you did not take this time off.<br /><br />option three, i hear there is a opening for the GRAND Clown at MC Donalds

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

reread your opening post, Salery worker ? thats for management. not a productive worker. <br /> there are labor laws that define what a exempt worker (salery) worker is and who is entiled to overtime pay. your boss might be surprized if you sent a letter describing what you do, and the hours you work, and your paytreatment to the Labor board. <br /><br />good luck, <br />would add more, but my work day is over.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get pregnant!!! I hear you can get 12 weeks off!!!<br />J/K. You should not be on salary. that IS for management. You qualify for overtime if you do not supervise anyone. Check into it.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If you decide to quit, drop me an email. I can tell ya a couple of real gratifying ways to do it.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks for the input. It has given me some insight on my position. <br /><br />I have always been lucky enough to always be employed. Never had to really look for work. It seems like it always finds me. McDonalds came to me to fill their position. The job before that I was the property building superintendant of a country club for 12 years. That was a salery position also, but I was also the supervisor of building maintenance and housekeeping (6 employees).<br /><br />For now, I'm just going to stick it out until my wife finishs her schooling to become an RN. Then I will open my own business of interior remodeling. That should be in about 3 more years. <br /><br />When I get ready to quit, I'll get in touch with you Hooty!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

wajajaja is correct. According to federal and most state labor laws you are entitled to overtime if your job requires you to do production work more then 10 percent of the day. If you are doing work that is making money for the company make sure you document it so when you quit or get fired you can go after him for the money he owes you. Overtime being 1.5 times your regular hourly wage.<br /><br />Problem is if you tell your boss this you run the risk of being fired for other reasons. Just document it and if you go somewhere else talk to your local labor people and they will get a case going for you