Job change

I want to take a job in the E.R ss mayfloat said it is up to me. Just want some input on if I should take it or not. I am a nursing student and would be a good learning experence for me. I work in a lab right now. What do you think? Sink or Swim?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Job change

if you are a nursing student this will be good experience for you. It's tough work. I had to do several shifts in the ER (and labor/delivery) when I became and EMT. Hours are long and you see a lot of things that most never will.<br /><br />However it is rewarding. But for a carrer, if you're going into nursing, you can't really ask for better training.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The ER will give you plenty experience in all fields of medicine for sure, from scraps and cuts to life threatening/ending injurys and everything in between.

txswinner

Banned

ER is fine but protect your back, this is one of the areas where nurses suffer a high level of back injuries.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

Go for it! Good luck to you, and God Bless what your doing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ms. M.<br /><br />Two of my three daughters and three of their partners are nurses (the third daughter is a PT). Their combined experience adds up to over 100 years of everything from NICU to battlefield care.<br /><br />Time in ER is like initiation. You need to do it sooner or later. Sooner means a sooner perception of the range of your options and a sooner grasp of what part of nursing appeals to you most.<br /><br />Go for it, and best of luck to you. There is no higher calling than nursing.

aspeck

Staff member

Definitely good experience! When you are busy, you will be very busy, and when there are no emergency happening, wait, uh, there are always emergencies! You are going to be busy! But you WILL learn a lot!

gonfishn

Commander

ER work is a special field and its not for everyone..Having been a Paramedic for over 25 years I will say it never gets boring..Only half of those who go into ER work make it..You will know after short period of time if this is the right field for you.. <br /><br />Being able to mentally detach yourself during life and death procedures on a daily basis..Leaving it behind you when you go home at night....Never blaming yourself if you lose one..Recognizing that death comes to all of us,some sooner than others..<br /><br />I had sixteen weeks of of corp. school then 10 weeks of FMF training in the service..All book knowledge..Then was was put in combat..My OJT was in the field with little or nothing to work with..The BAS or ER as you know it was the second phase of of Triage..<br /><br />When I got out all I had to do was Challenge the State Exams..In the Seventys 20% of book trained Paramedics left the field within two years..Learning in a book is one thing but putting it to use under stressful situations without the book is another thing..<br /><br />As for your question I would say yes..The Experience you will get will prove to be valuable to you in the years to come..I would say 80% of ER visits are non life threatening..Its the other 20% that you will see that will make you decide whether or not Emergency Medicine is for you..<br /><br />I am sure we will have alot to talk about if you and Mr SS make to our get together this month..<br />I salute you for wanting to go into this specialized field..For me it was the satisfaction of saving ones life at the end of the day that made me want to come back the next day..You will have your mental scars but that comes with the territory.. I wish you the best..<br />I have been out of it for ten years now and I do miss the Adrenalin rush you get when you have to put it all the line..<br /><br />Ya know I have seen every type of death you can imagine..But to this day having to change a babys diaper gets my gag reflexes ta going everytime<br /> ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Uh huh, I think she is actually wanting training for me being accident prone! :D

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My wife is a RN in the ER. She has only recently recieved her RN. She started as a clerk in the ER, then got her LVN, also in the ER. She worked for a few years in a doctors office as a LVN. To her the ER is the most enjoyable. It tends to be fast paced and steady. The comment about 80% is too true. People come into the ER at 2 am. They tell them that their ear hurts. When my wife asks how long have they had this problem the answer is usually a few weeks.

Link

Rear Admiral

One of my SisILs works in ER. I don't see how she does it. I couldn't handle it myself<br /><br />gonfishn <br />
ER work is a special field and its not for everyone..Having been a Paramedic for over 25 years I will say it never gets boring..Only half of those who go into ER work make it..You will know after short period of time if this is the right field for you..
Exactly what my SIL said about it. She enjoys it.<br />Your Hubby sorta said this.. <br />You will get to see first hand how stupid us guys can really be! :eek:

Hey Guys thanks for all the good advise. I have been at my present job for 5 years. It is like a bump and bruse clinic for worker comp and rapid responds clinic for colds, ect. Hate to leave but must move on, need input for nursing. :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Swim... ;) <br /><br />Mr M, when she comes home throwing around them acronyms and diagnosis like it were you that went to medical school just shake your head in agreement...Sooner or later some if it will actually make sense.<br /><br />And on occasion she will come home quiet, it is not you or any thing you did or didn't do. Just be ready to listen when she is ready to talk, sometimes they just need time.<br /><br />I wish both of you luck!