Jig for lower foot

poolecw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm getting ready to work on my water pump but don't have a device to hold the lower foot on the bench while working on the water pump. Do you guys have any ideas, jigs, or tips for me? I have a bench vise but don't think the would work.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Jig for lower foot

did mine on an old barstool, some use one of these thU5D36PWK.jpg

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I usually use my large bench vise and clamp the skeg between two small pieces of 2x4's. Since there is no real pressure exerted or hammering going on with the water pump, this technique has never failed me. However, if you were pulling the driveshaft, or doing something else major, I would find another way.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can block the antiventilation up on cement blocks, or use a vice. It is best to pad either with some wood blocks.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

benefit of the B&D workbench is you don't damage the unit. For long units, grip just under the water pump assembly -- good working height. For short shafts, clamp under the anti-vent plate. For gear work (clam shell type) turn the l.u. upside down and clamp with the anti vent plate resting upside down on the top of the bench. Nice feature is that you can clamp items that aren't flat and square.

Buy one and clamp a chair in it for refinishing; let your wife see it. You get the idea. You also need a new socket set to make house repairs. Now is the time. :)

BTW, that use of a barstool has me baffled. Unless it's the one next to the workbench for contemplation, sipping cold drinks, reading repair manuals.

Last edited:

I've always just screwed a couple of 2 x 4's to my workbench and let the AV plate rest on them. Stable enough and doesn't cost anything.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Plastic milk crate works.
If the unit is too big, then place two 2x4's across the top.

An 18 gallon rubbermaid tote works too.

Or you can buy a gearcase jig, or make one.

images

JoLin

Vice Admiral

BTW, that use of a barstool has me baffled. Unless it's the one next to the workbench for contemplation, sipping cold drinks, reading repair manuals.

Okay, thought I was the only one scratching my head :D

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

the stool is padded and has a tall backrest that curves around, sit the lower on it leaned against the back rest, cradled it nicely at about the right level so I can work standing up

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Ah. curiousity satisfied. but need another barstool next to that one for contemplation of busted lower unit, sipping cold drinks, etc etc :)