jet vs. prop performance

Zebramidge

Cadet
15 ft. Boston Whaler, 115hp VRO OMC i/o with jet foot. took it up on colorado river above lee's ferry. ran it upriver into current about 15 miles with side trips to flyfishing bars logged about 34 miles total. boat performed well and jet is obviously a plus in skinny water, but used 17 gallons of fuel. is 2 mpg realistic for this boat/motor combination?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: jet vs. prop performance

That is a hard question to answer. I believe that most boating people equate economy in GPH Gallons Per Hour. It's true that a jet tends to be less efficient than a prop but I would still tend to stick with the GPH rating. AND Considering you were going "upriver" that makes it near impossible to judge.<br /><br />Did you catch fish on your side trips to the flyfishing areas? Did you return safely? Did you have fun? Then I guess your mileage is considered priceless.<br /><br />Try it out on a lake body of water without currents or maybe some of the "tidal" people can help out on this board. I currently have an 85HP Johnson (propped) on a 15' boat and I can cruise/waterski/drive around (mostly at WOT) for about 2 1/2 GPH and have fun. Ask JB what GPH he gets with his Boston Whaler with his propped outboard.<br /><br />Live for the moment.<br /><br />Bob
smile.gif

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My experience with jets is this:<br /><br />You'll spend double in gas what you save on props!! However, there are some waters that you simply can't navigate with a prop...so jets definitely have their place! I had a lot of fun with my jet sled and explored waters I never could have with my runabout.<br /><br />Enjoy!<br /><br />Walt<br /><br />PS BTW... Excellent reply Bob_VT !!

Zebramidge

Cadet

Good advice all around. I'll check GPH out tomorrow. First boat for me, no complaints. Just trying to get a feel for range and expectations. Thanks.