Jet Drives

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked a very nice 1981 70hp Evinrude which I plan on installing on a 16’ LOWE for use in the rivers here in WA. Of course a real riverboat here needs a jet drive. I’ve never owned a jet drive but from what I’ve seen they look like they just go on in place of the lower unit. How easy is it to change from prop to jet? Where does one find a jet drive for this engine?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jet Drives

hello<br /> its very easy to change. I think you can contact american jet or your local bombardier dealer. I think the jets had a different pack with a rev limiter change. not sure on that for that old an application. good luck and keep posting

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

It's an easy change CaptainPuget, the only machine work you will have to do is to drill the bolthole from under the zinc thru and countersink for use with spacer. Look at other outboard jets and you will see. The real problem is the transom height, the outboard jet will add 5 inches, so if your 70horse motor has a 20" leg, you will need a 25" transom with the jet installed. just a thought :)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

All outboard jets whether installed in the outboard's factory or after market are made by Outboard Jet Corp. (AKA Specialty Manufacturing). They are all essentially the same, although they vary internally depending the power of the engine and the type of engine they are attached to. From the outside though, they all look essentially the same. Beware of this if you're looking at any use units - make sure you get one for your specific motor.<br /><br />I thought OUtboard Jets had a web site, but I can't find it off hand. I have spoken by phone with them in the past and they are very helpful. They were able to refer me to local dealers for parts and info, so that's a way you could find a dealer and they could tell you exactly which unit you need to look for if you're going used.<br /><br />The reason the transom is higher for an outboard jet is not because the jet unit is longer than the prop lower unit - it isn't. In fact, it's shorter. However, the water pickup is on the very bottom of the jet, so the motor has to be raised so that the very bottom of the jet unit is just at the surface of the water when the boat's on plane. The bottom of the jet unit will be set approximately where the cavitation plate on a prop unit would be - even with the bottom of the boat.<br /><br />Although a lot of folks think that the motor height can be set/adjusted and then left-be, I, and many others I know, use a hydraulic jack plate to adjust the height as necessary. Some people use a manual jack plate.<br /><br />Most people, when converting their hull to outboard jet use have to add an extension to raise the motor to the correct height. You'll see examples in the photos in some of the url's I list below.<br /><br />There's a lot of info on outboard jets on the web. Below are a few good urls. There's also quite a bit of discussion on iboats in various forums - search throughout all the iboats forums and you'll find a lot. <br /> jet info 2<br /><br />jet info 3<br /> jet info 4<br /><br />jet info 1