Jerry Jones Tax?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Should local communities subsidize rich guys?<br /><br />Jerry Jones is owner of the Dallas Cowboys, and he wants my town to pay half the construction cost up to $325 million to build a new retractable roof stadium. Financed by a quarter-percent sales tax plus increased rental car & hotel taxes.<br /><br />Opponents call it the Jerry Jones tax; the guy's rich enough, why should we give him any money? <br /><br />I'm leaning towards a "yes" vote because the project includes a lot of highway improvements, and will accelerate several million dollars in federal & county matching highway funds. The school district will win big time because there will be no property tax exemption. It'll clean up a rather undesireable part of town. I'm really impressed by the sports complexes in Baltimore & Cleveland.<br /><br />They'll still be the "Dallas" Cowboys, but I guess that's okay - we have the Texas Rangers here already.<br /><br />Much as I hate to contribute to charity for the rich (I've never really forgiven JJ for firing Tom Landry), this sounds like a win-win situation.<br /><br />Anybody have an opinion on this?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Jerry Jones Tax?

As one who travels on business and pays his own expenses, I grow tired of paying these added taxes everytime I have to stay out. It's happening everywhere you go. Locals funding their pet projects on the backs of the traveler.

KennyKenCan

Commander

The NY Jets J.E.T.S. ...JETS... JETS... JETS, are going to build their new stadium, right here in mid-town Manhattan, at a cost of $888 million, as an extention to the Jacob B. Javits Convention Center.<br /><br />The City of New York is going to put up a bond for $110 million, and the Jets are going to pay for the rest, $778 million.<br /><br />I think that this too is a Win - Win situation.<br /><br />This stadium is also crutial to NYC getting the 2012 Olympic Games, and will be so benificial to the city, with the extra revenue it will create for the city.<br /><br />If the Dallas Cowboys want a new stadium, then they should pay the bulk of the costs for construction, not the local community.<br /><br />The Dallas Cowboys can afford this, and if they are not willing to pick up the majority of the costs, then it is my opinion, that the voters vote it down, until the Cowboys put more money into the project.<br /><br />The community shouldn't have to pay half the costs, unless of coarse, the Cowboys will allow each and every person who lives in that area, FREE TICKETS TO EVERY GAME, for the next 20 years!!<br /><br />Either that, or become the Oklahoma Cowboys!! :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You have no choice. There are too many other cities willing to give away stadiums for free. If you want an NFL team, your probably going to pay. I dont like it, but that is the way it is.<br /><br />Houston had to pay for our own stadium to get the Texans.<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ken is right; there's a lot competition. After Irving (site of the current stadium) and Dallas turned him down, JJ approached a few other area communities. Now, rumor has it that the opposition is being funded largely by business & civic leaders from the city of Dallas in an effort to get another crack at it. <br /><br />By the way, Ken, I think your "Texan" logo is way cooler than the "Oilers." What kind of mascot is an Oiler, anyway? Roughneck would have been better, IMO. :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Love the Texans, loved the Oilers even though they broke our hearts. We just hated the Oilers owner, Butt Adams. I think Tennesee has learned to hate him too. Something about the stadium there needs 5 million in repairs and Adams wont pay for it.<br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

I agree with KKC. <br /><br />And I wouldn't let the promise of funds for schools new jobs and roads get you too excited. They pull that crap down here all the time and spend the money elsewhere. He would still make money in the process if he funds it himself. I think its an insult to the sporting public. <br /><br />The Dolfins owner tried several times to get the public to buy him a new stadium and we still cant fill the stadium we have now..its simply a money making venture and will justify higher tickets at the expense of the public. <br /><br />Two Marlins owners tried to do the same thing. Threatened to move the club. We voted no in every case.<br /><br />Alot of the toll roads built in Orlando back in the 80' were funded by the tolls and were suppose to stop once they were paid for. Never happened never will. <br /><br />Same Dolfins owner successfully lobbie the City of Miramar to rezone part of the Federally protected protected land on the edge of the everglades west of me to build an multi sports complexe and amusment park. Everyone bit on it. The public funded it. He sold (Dolpins Owner)his interest to Viacom when he couldnt get more funding from the public. Then Viacom Built a zillion homes on another piece of the shrinking glades. :mad:

NathanY

Commander

The city of Arlington brought this to Jerry Jones to try to get the Cowboys out of Irving. I think that if they want them, then they need to pay too. That stadium will bring in millions Arlington, so it is not like they wont get their money back. If I still lived in Arlington, I would have voted for it.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not from the area, but I know that's how they paid for the new Rangers stadium back when they built it (sales tax increase, etc). As far as I heard the Rangers still suck though... :D <br /><br />Top of the 8th, Game 5 ALCS, Yankees 4, Boston 2, one more inning and it's championship time again. <br /><br />EDIT - yup, jinxed myself, Yankees lose 5-4 in 14 innings. <br /><br />Anyway, if it benefits the local area as a whole, which new stadiums almost always do, it's a yes vote for me.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Alot of the toll roads built in Orlando back in the 80' were funded by the tolls and were suppose to stop once they were paid for. Never happened never will. <br /><br />Same Dolfins owner successfully lobbie the City of Miramar to rezone part of the Federally protected protected land on the edge of the everglades west of me to build an multi sports complexe and amusment park. Everyone bit on it. The public funded it. He sold (Dolpins Owner)his interest to Viacom when he couldnt get more funding from the public. Then Viacom Built a zillion homes on another piece of the shrinking glades.
Wow OddJob... Yer starting to sound like me... :eek: :D :eek: :confused: <br /><br />And don't forget.. Our President, good ol' GeeeeDubya himself, had Texas taxpayers fund a new stadium while he was part owner of the Rangers... <br /><br /> Robbing the poor masses to pay for a select few rich mens escapades.... :mad: <br /><br />
allow each and every person who lives in that area, FREE TICKETS TO EVERY GAME, for the next 20 years!!<br />
Damn straight, Kenny!!!!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) The patriots owner, built a new stadium here in Mass with his own money!!! The people of the state held tight on that deal!!! with all the threats, from the Pats owner moving the team to another state and all the crap that goes with it!!! The only thing that the state agreed to was fixing the road leading to the stadium and adding a VIP lanewhich is now being disputed because the deal was that the team owner agrred to pay 350,000 and so far reneged forcing the state to shut down the VIP lane until the state is paid!!! ;) :cool:

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

JT, The same thing happened when Arl. voted on the stadium for the Rangers. A sales tax increase untill stadium was paid off. Arl. did lower the sales tax rate. Since they made good on there promise then, then I'm sure it will pass for JJ.<br /><br />As far as the highways and fed. money, talk is in "07" we start loosing funds if we don't clean up our air. I guess I had better Quit before this turns into a rant.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

We got bent over in Milwaukee with the construction of Miller Park. With the promise of building a winner the Selig's have the second or the lowest payroll in the Majors. Inside of four years they have sold the team and one of the selling points was the OUTSTANDING lease on one of the greatest stadiums in the world. Want a ticket? I think they are giving them away anymore. Milwaukee any better for having the stadium? NOPE. Hey Bud, go to he11.<br /><br />On the flip side the Packers did a similar scheme and the stadium is always full and used for more than football. A good deal for the community, and a focus of pride for the community.<br /><br />It is a financial balancing act and sometimes it works but I would say 75% of the time it is just another way to tell taxpayers to support those who want to play at sports.

oddjob

Commander

Wow OddJob... Yer starting to sound like me... <br /><br />And don't forget.. Our President, good ol' GeeeeDubya himself, had Texas taxpayers fund a new stadium while he was part owner of the Rangers... <br /><br />Robbing the poor masses to pay for a select few rich mens escapades.... <br /><br />
Hey Snapper, I love Florida mainly for the swamp,open prairies, hardwood hammocks. I'm a tree hugger in the sense of the environment. Studied alot of the history of Florida and reading about Osceola right now. I'm very selfish about Florida and the mass development going on. I'm in favor of the agriculture because we need food and we need to keep the remaining lands undeveloped. Its a very complex balance and hard for the newcomers to understand when the could care less about the wild. I know we dont agree on alot of politics but we also have alot in common as well. I had a feeling when I wrote the above post that you might be a little mifted about my position. :) <br /><br />About W in Texas, I admit I'm not edjucated. I cant really blame a man for trying as much as I blame the public for falling for it. Take care :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Yup, I voted for the Ballpark sales tax & glad I did (note to Steve: we've seen playoffs, an Allstar game, one perfect game - Kenny Rogers vs Angels 7/28/94, and in '04, a pennant race in a "rebuilding year" - not too shabby. If only some team other than the d*** yankees would show up in the playoffs!). But that was personal; I actually go to baseball games - there's really not a bad seat in the house, plus which you're allowed to bring your own beverages (non-alcoholic, although I found that if you pour a couple dark beers into a big gulp cup, the gate screeners inevitably mistake it for tea).<br /><br />The county & federal street & highway funds can't be spent on other projects and besides which, the stadium just won't work without better freeway access.<br /><br />And I forgot to mention talk of bringing Final Four games, Texas-OU and lotsa other big-time events to town.<br /><br />I don't really worry that any of the parties will go back on their word - just, do I get enough out of the deal to make me "forget" that some wealthy Arkansanian is using public funds to enrich himself.<br /><br />Would it be a little ironic if the man who fired Tom Landry ends up playing in a stadium located on the Tom Landry Freeway?