Jerkey Recipies...

ndemge

Commander
Doing that south beach thing now...<br /><br />Looking for some sugar free jerkey recipes.<br />I have a Teryiaki beef recipe from my brother that I changed a lil bit to fit the diet.<br /><br />Anyone have a favorite recipe? Something other than just beef would be nice too. Have never done turkey or fish, but would be willing to try.<br /><br />Note: I have a good fan forced dehydrator with thermostat that drys fast, avoiding the spoilage problem. Drys Beef in about 4 hours.<br /><br />Thanks !

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Jerkey Recipies...

Not so much a recipe as a suggestion for great jerky.<br /><br />I smoke my jerky in a Cameron stovetop smoker before drying it. It adds a lot of flavor. Several good recipes come with the smoker. <br /><br />www.cameronsmoker.com<br /><br />The teriyaki marinade is improved for beef, venison and bison by adding about 1/3 Worchestershire Sauce.<br /><br />Happy jerking! :)

ndemge

Commander

I might have to do some smoked jerky next time I've got the pit at the house. Trailer smoker.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I like to use a pork roast for jerky. If you can get a wild one its even beter because it is so lean.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Salt & pepper for me. Never tried it on jerky yet but I might try some Pappy's seasoning or a good tri-tip rub.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We always cured it and smoked it, never dried it into jerky.<br /><br />Been doing rounds of beef, cut and sectioned,<br />whitebass,<br />white sucker,<br />northern,<br />salmon,<br />and pork loin,<br />for about 30 years.<br /><br />only made one batch this year. :(

Link

Rear Admiral

ndemge <br />Mrs.Link doing SB also so a few months ago I went in search of a KISS jerkey recipe.<br />Found this one and it turned out great and is easy to use and remember.<br /><br />The un-named auther said it also works great as a marinade for steaks when grilling<br /><br />4 Equal parts each.<br />1: Worcestershire sauce<br />2: Teriyaki sauce<br />3: Soy sauce<br />4: Water or Beer<br /><br />I let it sit in the marinade over night<br />This is for a wood smoker.<br /> For a dehydrator I've found adding 1/2 bottle of Liquid Smoke per Quart of marinde <br />(1/2 of a 3.5 FL OZ bottle) gives it a nice smoked flavor<br /><br />After you lay your meat up on the racks you can season to taste with Black pepper, garlic, white pepper etc or just leave it be.<br /><br />Link

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Link, what does '4 equal parts each' mean?

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by lakelivin:<br /> Link, what does '4 equal parts each' mean?
IE: If you use 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce you use 1 cup of the the other three also.<br /><br />Example:<br /><br />1: 1 cup Worcestershire sauce<br />2: 1 cup Teriyaki sauce<br />3: 1 cup Soy sauce<br />4: 1 cup Water or Beer<br /><br />Jerky is a good snack for the SB diet but at $16.00 a pound at the local butchers it's a lot cheaper (and fun) to make your own.<br /><br />For the same price of one pound of jerky I get 5 or 6 pounds of meat and they sliced it at no charge.<br /><br />Great, thanks a lot! Now I'm in jerky making mode! :) <br /><br />Hint: If you like softer, more chewy (sp) jerky. Place a 15oz (cleaned veggie) can filled with water on the drip pan. It will boil letting of steam for 2 to 8 hours while smoking.<br /><br />PS: Doesnt work so well with dehydrators :D :D

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a link to a recipe site where I have used their recipe.<br /><br />This is pretty darn good. Of course you can tailer it to your personal taste. I don't care for sugar much and use some Cholula hot sauce instead.<br /><br /> Beef Jerky

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Talked to my uncle tonight.<br />Here are two that he has used.<br /><br />BEEF JERKY<br />2-5 lbs. meat<br />1 tbsp. salt<br />1/4 tsp. black pepper<br />1/2 tsp. red pepper<br />1 tsp. white pepper<br />1 tsp. meat tenderizer<br />2 tbsp. season salt<br />2 tsp. MSG<br />1 tsp. garlic powder<br />2 tsp. onion powder<br />1 tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet<br />2 tbsp. Morton's tender quick<br />1/3 c. Worcestershire sauce<br />1/3 c. soy sauce<br />1/3 c. barbeque sauce<br />1/3 c. liquid smoke<br />Cut strips 1/2" thick, 1 1/2" wide and 6" long. Marinate 24 hours in a covered container in the refrigerator. Place toothpicks through the ends and hang from oven rack placed in the top of the oven. Cook at lowest oven setting for 6 to 8 hours.<br /><br /><br />HAMBURGER JERKY<br />5 lbs. hamburger<br />12 tsp. salt<br />1 tsp. black pepper<br />1 tsp. cayenne pepper<br />1 tsp. marjoram<br />2 tsp. garlic powder<br />3 tsp. MSG<br />1 1/2 tsp. tender quick<br />12 tsp. liquid smoke<br />12 tsp. water<br />Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Add to hamburger, mix well. Add water and liquid smoke, mixing well. Divide into 4 equal parts. Roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Remove top sheet of paper and let dry overnight. Remove all paper and dry in dehydrator or oven at 125 degrees for 12 hours. Cut into strips after drying.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My smokin recipe is pretty simple.<br />Cure in Morton Tender Quick.<br />Leave skin on fish.<br />For beef, sprinkle on a little dry seasoning if you like.<br /><br />Place in smoker.<br />Fish should be placed belly down or hung, to allow smoke to enter.<br />Keep heat extremely low for 3-4 hours.<br />Raise heat level to 160* for an hour.<br />Reduce heat and continue smoking until desired smoke flavor and level of dryness is achieved.

ndemge

Commander

roscoe... have you tried the hamburger one? Do you like it? I'd never thought of using burger, but it's SO much cheaper than buying roasts.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Never tried it, but my uncle says its like dried flavored summer sausage. He said it is easier to chew than regular jerky.<br /><br />He also said to use wild game (elk or venison) instead of store bought beef hamgurger, because the store bought has too much fat in it.<br /><br />I think I'll have to ask for a sample.

Link

Rear Admiral

ndemge<br />I just had to jump in here to tell about my one and only experience with a dehydrator and lean ground beef in making jerky.<br /><br />I used one of the recipes from the book that came with the dehydrator and it turned out GREAT! <br /><br /> <br />roscoe <br />
He also said to use wild game (elk or venison) instead of store bought beef hamgurger, because the store bought has too much fat in it.<br />
Yuppers! Also around here we can also get Buffalo burger which would be real lean and tastey also.<br /><br />ndemge<br />If you want to make your own Baffalo burger you might do a search here in Iboats. Keys words, buffalo and Hideout! Heard a rumor that there is one just roaming around getting fat and will most likely die of old age anyway!<br /><br /> :D :D :D

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

For those who get concerned with this sort of thing, hamburger is far more likely to carry bacterial contamination. Lean steak & roast is much more highly regarded for jerkey by anyone you might ask down at the local environmental health dept. Remember the coli infections from fast food restaraunts about ten years ago? Always ground beef, never steak. Something to think about....<br /><br />The odds are probably about like getting struck by lightning to be perfectly honest. But I'll take my burger well done, thank you! :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got a countertop dehydrator that I've never used. How much does the meat shrink during the process? (eg, how many lbs of raw beef does it take to make 1lb of jerky?)

ndemge

Commander

My guess would be about 6 lbs + of meat to make a lb of jerky