Jellied Fuel

cddfamily

Cadet
Has anyone seen jelly for fuel before? What is the cause and fix?<br /><br />My 1993 175hp Johnson has been in an out of the shop since taking it in for a 100hr service/tune-up in May. Lots of trouble getting it to run for long periods. Ran OK before service, but was getting rough. Found fogging oil on the opto-coupler/ignition causing misfire. <br /><br />Took it out after the service and 10min into the run it went into S.L.O.W. mode limited to ~1200 rpm and low oil alarms. Dealer checked system and replaced power pack $$$.<br /><br />Took it out again with the same results - dealer replaced VRO pump $$$.<br /><br />Dealer took it out- 15 min into the run, same problem. OMC tech called in and checked fuel system. The filter/lines are clogged with a "fuel" the consistency of silicon rubber that no-one has seen before. Boat was stored in non freezing winter [Sacramento, CA] with fuel stabilizer. <br /><br />Dealer putting in 2nd VRO pump $$$ and may need to pull the tank [seat, deck,lines ...]$$$.<br />Any thoughts? I am $1200 into tune-up/power pack, not counting VROs/new labor and the engine still isn't running as well as it was before service. And this was the factory authorized shop!!!<br /><br />thanks - :( :(

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Jellied Fuel

You will get alot of responses I this one, Bad to let fuel sit. I made same mistake, except I RIPPED OUT THE flippin gas tank thinking it was full of crap. IT WAS NOT THE TANK. I may hit this one on the head for you. What you might have done was let boat sit, then you remember, geez I havent run it in a while, SO off to auto store, bought some stabilizer and through it in the tank....If that was the case, the fuels atabilizzer ROTTED YOU FILL HOSE, if filled you tank with black goopy crap that got sucked into all fuel lines and carbs. ripped out every piece of rubber hose you have, clean carbs, and you may be set. I learned the hard way........ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: :mad: <br /><br />WOW spiders, I will remember that one...<br />will have to surf net and see what chemicals are found in spiders nest. CLANTON, they day I see a delaer put back old parts..I think I will expell twinkies :D

LuvMyNymph

Cadet

Hi Wishin,<br /><br /> Now this may sound quite weird to some but it was something we ran into quite frequently at the dealership (auto) that caused many a no-start/poor running/ CEL condition and the jellied mass. It's Spider Nests. The Nests of a spider turn to a jellied consistancy and when dry into something resembling styrofoam when they come in contact with fuel. I have had to flush out alot of fuel lines in stored vehicles after the jelly had been found. I would disconnect the lines at both ends and blow them out with compressed air then run a fuel cleaner through and change the fuel filter. In one extreme case the injectors had to be replaced. Hope this helps. (Told you it was weird)<br /><br />LMN :D

clanton

Rear Admiral

My queston is the dealer going to remove the new parts and reinstall the old parts that did not need to be changed. The only thing that causes S.L.O.W. to reduce the RPMS is overheat or bad powerpack. I would clean The VRO tank,replace filter in tank, and flush oil line.

cddfamily

Cadet

First - thanks for your help and suggestions. <br /><br />I will need to keep an eye out for Mike, because he must have been watching my house. I did exactly as he descibed with the fuel stabilizer. The fill tube looks OK, but the fuel lines from the tank o the filter were lined with a white material. We found white jelly on the pickup and fuel level float in the tank. We also found spider webs in the vent line. Took apar my 8hp kicker which is fed from the same tank an found the white jellied stuff all over. Amazing how much easier it is to start without all of that crap in the jets/carb. <br />Not sure what the ultimate root cause was, but the shop fixed it all and only charged for the VRO that went bad trying to pump the crap and the new fuel lines/bulbs. The VRO diaphram was torn, so I know it needed replacing. They ate all of the labor. Can't complain too much. Got it back last Friday [before the Labor Day weekend], so technically they didn't have it all summer. Too many mentally challenged captains on an already low lake to test it out. Plan on geting sick during a weekday to try it out and do some fishing. Thanks again. :)