January at The Hideout

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Trees are bare. It is cool (40*) and wet today.<br /><br />My winter residents are busy.<br /><br />A large flock of robins. They are attracted by the many acres of mown grass, not very common out here in the stix. About 50 per acre this morning.<br /><br />The persimmons have peaked and started to dry out, so the deer and coyotes who visit so often in the Fall are not in evidence.<br /><br />There is a huge flock of goldfinches that stay every winter, attracted by the large feeders on the back porch. There are a lot of purple finches, titmouses (titmice?), various species of sparrows and about a dozen cardinals that show up daily to fight with the goldfinches over sunflower seeds. Nothing like the wars that hummingbirds have over the feeders in summer, though.<br /><br />There is a mystery animal that scarfs up the deer corn I put out each night. Early one morning I got a glimpse of him in the pre-dawn gloom. Big animal. . .much bigger than the does that I see often. Leaves a track that looks like a small cow. I couldn't see well enough to detect antlers, but I suspect it is an old and very smart buck.<br /><br />Had some wood ducks on the little pond yesterday. If there is a more beautiful American bird than a woody drake I have yet to see one. Both ring necked and golden pheasants are gorgeous, but not native.<br /><br />Even on a cold, wet January day this place is wonderland. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: January at The Hideout

Thanks for the images on a miserable wet morning, JB.<br /><br />As far as your mystery animal: do you remember a character named "Adam" from the show Northern Exposure? ;)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB - Please take real good care of those goldfinches - they're a sure sign of spring here in VA and we can't wait to get them back. Got plenty of thistle seed ready for them. :)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Those goldfinches coming back are always a sure sign of spring. <br />We've had lot of robins hanging around this year.<br />Usually they aren't seen until around late february.<br />Plenty of geese too. I always stop to watch & enjoy to formations flying over. I never get tired of hearing them honk & flying by.

NathanY

Commander

There is a mystery animal that scarfs up the deer corn I put out each night. Early one morning I got a glimpse of him in the pre-dawn gloom. Big animal. . .much bigger than the does that I see often. Leaves a track that looks like a small cow. I couldn't see well enough to detect antlers, but I suspect it is an old and very smart buck.<br />
Or hog, lots of big feral hogs out in that area.

KaGee

Admiral

Cold... Gloomy, Icy and Snow.... yeppers, what a "wonderland" we got here in Ohio. :(

gaugeguy

Captain

Still no snow and as mild a winter as I can remember. Haven't been able to drill one hole in the ice yet :(

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Beautiful JB, just beautiful, You don't really want to leave the hide out,do ya?

JB

Doubt that it's a hog, Nate. <br /><br />Whatever it is, it has to clear a 5' fence to get to the corn.<br /><br />Has pretty long legs, too.<br /><br />It is almost everything I dreamed of for many years, Elmer. You are correct; I don't even think about giving it up. :)

Twidget

Commander

Nice desciption for a rainy day JB. We have a family of rabbits living under the shed. Its a new housing area, so we dont get many birds visiting.<br /><br />The neighbors did have a skunk get in their back yard, their dog made the mistake of chasing it. :D <br /><br />edit for spelling

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

tcube and Ed, I don't know if what you call a goldfinch is what I call a goldfinch ( here we call them yellow canaries, my audobon book calls them "american goldfinch" (at least I think, I didn't look it up just now )) but they overwinter here and I see dozens every day. I spend a mint on thistle seed for them every year and they are the only bird we feed year round.<br /><br />btw JB, around here that mystery animal is known as "venison" :D :D

tylerin

Commander

JB whatever happened to the Bison from last year?

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bruce,<br /><br />Do believe they are one in the same - the Audobon photos look exactly the same. I did, however, think the ones we have in VA were smarter than to spend winters in Grand Ledge, MI - it's too darned cold up there! :D :D

Carphunter

Commander

Okay JB, your mystery animal is...............Bigfoot.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Okay JB, your mystery animal is...............Bigfoot.
Do Bigfeet have cloven hooves in Indiana??

Carphunter

Commander

GG said:<br />Do Bigfeet have cloven hoves in Indiana??
......They walk with cloven hooves in Indiana, right before they get whacked with a Muzzy, then they don't be walkin no mo. ;) <br /><br />......It could be a small cow, since JB said it leaves tracks similar to a small cow. :D

KaGee

Admiral

Could be the little grey men.<br />Better call X-files.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Doubt that it's a hog, Nate. <br /><br />Whatever it is, it has to clear a 5' fence to get to the corn.<br /><br />Has pretty long legs, too.<br /><br />
Did you mean legs that are both long and pretty, like a Victoria's Secret model? Maybe you been spending too much time at the Hideout...<br /> ;) :D :D :D

JB

Well, JT, it has four of them. (Legs that is). :D <br /><br />There is no such thing as "too much time at The Hideout". :)