Jacuzzi Jet needing rebuild?

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice
I am the new owner of a Jacuzzi jet powered by a 455 olds. Not being familiar with Jacuzzi jet drive, I think I may have a problem. Under power there seems to be more water flowing around the nozzle of the jet than thru it. Is this an indication of the jet drive needing a rebuild? Thanks in advance for your expertise....-Rich

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jacuzzi Jet needing rebuild?

Exactly where is the water coming from? I'm not real familiar with Jacuzzis, but I believe there should be a plastic bushing around the nozzle on the end that pivots. Most jet drives aren't that hard to work on, I'm told. I've done a few things to my eliminator jet drive, but not much. I don't know if I'm supposed to give other forums more suited to the question, but vintagejetboats.com has info and diagrams of jacuzzis. Not sure if it's proper for me to push that site, or steal from it giving info. I'm having trouble with my internet service, I can only get one site up at a time, and then only some of the time, or I'd try to get some pics for you. Something is wrong with my satellite, and I can't seem to get anyone to repair it.

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice

Exactly where is the water coming from? QUOTE]

The water is coming thru the bowl & all around the steering nozzle as well as thru it. Sorry, I'm new to jets & don't know the proper names for the parts. BTW, it's a 12YJ pump. Hope this helps. Thanks....-Rich

Last edited:

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I'm having a lot of internet problems with the satellite I have. Pages aren't loading all the way, and when I send things, it doesn't go a lot of the times. You can get parts at HOME PAGE, Jacuzzi Jet Drive Parts and I know a guy in southern Cal who has a shop to fix them at Jet Boat performance. He and is kid have a business doing jets. They are at vintagejet boats.com a lot. I believe American Turbine in Washington State on the Snake river builds them and has parts. Not sure where you are for local places, which I probably wouldn't know of anyway. I believe there is a two piece wedge type bushing that goes in your snoot, around the outside of your nozzle that is supposed to seal that. I can take my snoot and nozzle off just behind the transom, make sure nothing falls out. I'm not sure of all the names either, but that bushing, wedge, whatever it's called probably is wore out, or maybe gone totally. I remember seeing a diagram of the jacuzzi somewhere, you should be able to search one out on line, and a service manual also. They still make those drives. My eliminator drive is not made anymore, it's real hard to get pieces or info for. I haven't been able to get into the jet boat site to check on things for you, because of my internet problem. I'm trying to talk with a guy there with a drive like mine too. This site has been very helpful to me, and so has the other one, for different things. I usually post on both You have the preferred engine of the guys there too. That boat ought to really scoot. What make is the boat?

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice

You have the preferred engine of the guys there too. That boat ought to really scoot. What make is the boat?

Thank You for the link to vintagejet boats.com. I spent a couple of hours there yesterday afternoon.

I spoke to a guy here in Northern California that has been repairing Jets for over 30 years. He told me my Jacuzzi, (YJ) is an old design & not sealed where the steering nozzle sits in the bowl. What I have happening is normal for that Jet Drive. To correct the old design I need to add a engerizer kit, $2000+ & to trim the boat another $1500 for a place diverter on the nozzle. This is more than I paid for the whole boat. BTW the hull is a 1976 Thunderbolt 21' daycruiser made right here in Sacramento.

My next step is to do a compression check on the engine & see where I might find some heads. I have two exhaust leaks, both in the center of each head. The PO over tightened the bolts & broke the hump where the center exhaust manifold bolts are screwed into the head.

With some time & effort, & a lot of help from guys like you, I will get this barge dialed in.

Thanks....-Rich

Last edited:

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a lot of old jets in northern Cal. I've got an exhaust leak too, just started last fall and I haven't got to fixing it yet. Good luck with your project. I'll check back every now and then for your progress.

RGreen44

Recruit
Re: Jacuzzi Jet needing to be rebuilt?

I just bought a jet boat with a 460 ford motor and has a 12WJ/B Jacuzzi jet pump. The motor runs great but the jet pump of frozen (disconnected from the motor). I have rebuilt a Berkeley pump but not a Jacuzzi pump. I can not seem to find that much on the Jacuzzi pump and parts seem to be harder to locate.

My question is what do I need to know that is different from the Berkeley pump to the Jacuzzi pump when I take it apart? What parts will I need once O pull the shaft out to put it all back together? I can not find a rebuild kit online so I will have to find each part separate and hope I don't miss one. Do any of you know of a great video (you tube) that I can watch that demonstrates what I am going to face? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Redeye1620

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a jet boat with a 460 ford motor and has a 12WJ/B Jacuzzi jet pump. The motor runs great but the jet pump of frozen (disconnected from the motor). I have rebuilt a Berkeley pump but not a Jacuzzi pump. I can not seem to find that much on the Jacuzzi pump and parts seem to be harder to locate.

My question is what do I need to know that is different from the Berkeley pump to the Jacuzzi pump when I take it apart? What parts will I need once O pull the shaft out to put it all back together? I can not find a rebuild kit online so I will have to find each part separate and hope I don't miss one. Do any of you know of a great video (you tube) that I can watch that demonstrates what I am going to face? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Randy

Seek out Jet Boat performance Jet Boat Performance, Rebuild Kits

OR Performance Jet Performance Jet - Sebastopol, California.

Both companies have been very helpful with free with advise in my situation....-Rich

P.S. You might also check Vintage Jet Boat Forums @ http://www.vintagejetboats.com/content.php?

Last edited: