Jacking up the trailer

Sgt_P

Cadet
Tires went flat this winter. I'm planning on taking the rims/flat-tires to the shop, and get new tires (the old ones never held air well).
But my question is about jacking the trailer with the boat on it.
My thought is to jack the single axle on one side, and place a jack-stand under the frame towards the rear (then do the same to the other side).
Or should the jack-stands only be used on the axle?
Any input?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Either way to get the old tire/wheels off and still be able to install new inflated tires back on. Not knowing where your trailer is sitting, if it is in dirt, make sure you use some type wood (good size piece of plywood usually works) under the jack stand to spread out the force and not sink into the ground. If it is on pavement or concrete, then however you can get the tire up high enough to change the tire/wheels... Also make sure your wheel bearings are clean and re-greased as well. Good time to do that now as well.

dozerII

Admiral
IMHO, jack under the axle leaving enough room to place a jack stand under the leaf spring saddle on each side, you won't have to jack the whole thing as high that way, and the suspension will not have to unload.

TexMonty

Seaman
If the tires will hold air fill them first. You will have less jacking to do and less spacers to use

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You wouldn't have aluminum rims? If so, that's why they could leak, especially when sitting for long periods of time.....

Last edited:

Sgt_P

Cadet
Great info gentlemen!
I'll definately clean and re-grease the wheel bearings.
Putting the stands under the leaf-spring saddles is a great idea to keep the suspension from unloading!!
The tires aired up last year, but this year they are pretty flat.
I don't think the wheels are aluminum, but to be honest I haven't checked. That would make sense, and they are nice looking wheels for the smallest Tahoe of that year. Let me find a magnet...

If the wheels are aluminum, how should they be "winterized"? I'm already planning to keep the boat/trailer on the jack-stands next winter. Is that it, or is there a preferred method??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the tires hold air, hook up the rig and take whole thing to the tire shop. Otherwise, follow the advice above.

oldjeep

Admiral
Aluminum wheels don't need any special prep - if you have some that leak then either you have a bead leak or some porous rims. As a good enough fix, your idea of storing it on jack stands will be fine.

oldjeep

Admiral
If the tires hold air, hook up the rig and take whole thing to the tire shop. Otherwise, follow the advice above.

Assuming your tire shop has room to actually work on a trailer and you trust a tire shop to be operating a jack around your boat. For my piece of mind, I'd bring them the wheels and tires.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ya gotta trust someone to know what they're doing. I could drop the rig off the jack too. Most the shops here do trailer tires and have the room.

oldjeep

Admiral
Ya gotta trust someone to know what they're doing. I could drop the rig off the jack too. Most the shops here do trailer tires and have the room.

I don't have to trust anyone with the boat ;) They can feel free to drop my car trailer, which could easily be brought to them empty.

Bondo

Staff member
Aluminum wheels don't need any special prep - if you have some that leak then either you have a bead leak or some porous rims. As a good enough fix, your idea of storing it on jack stands will be fine.

Ayuh,.... When I have tires mounted on aluminum rims, I always Insist that they glue 'em on with bead sealer,.....

It seems to help, so long as the wheel starts out good, 'n clean,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Every vehicle I have owned for the last 20 years have aluminum rims. Never had one that leaked air more than normal.

I bring my tires into the tire guy separate from the trailer only because it is more convenient and I can drop off and pick up later, not because I would be worried that they would drop my trailer.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Jack stands are nice, but after having a trailer fall off them and on to me, I like blocking up a trailer with 4x4's or many pieces of 2x8.

Maybe use jack stands but also block it. Taking both wheels off at the same time with a boat on it is creating a possible unstable condition.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm curious: is there any reason you couldn't or shouldn't put inner tubes in the tires? It seems like that would take care of any seepage problems, assuming the valve is good.

oldjeep

Admiral
I'm curious: is there any reason you couldn't or shouldn't put inner tubes in the tires? It seems like that would take care of any seepage problems, assuming the valve is good.

You ever had anything with inner tubes? (like a bike) They are definitely not a solution to air leaking out over long periods of time.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
When I jack up the trailer, I always put the jack stands under the frame near the transom of the boat. Not only is the axle much harder to get under (I'd essentially have to lie under the boat while raising the boat -- not too safe!), but placing the jacks and jack stands farther back on the frame increases the distance between the points of support, which seems to make the whole thing more stable. (Wider base of support.)

The jack stands always are on level concrete, and it's very stable. I also put a jack stand near the tongue, to help immobilize the trailer even more. Plus, I don't entirely trust the trailers built-in jack, at least not as much as a heavy steel jack stand with a wide base rather than a wheel.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Jack stands are nice, but after having a trailer fall off them and on to me, I like blocking up a trailer with 4x4's or many pieces of 2x8.

Maybe use jack stands but also block it. Taking both wheels off at the same time with a boat on it is creating a possible unstable condition.

+1.. jack stands and the mechanisms used to hold the load can fail and have failed.. When ever I jack up my rig I place jack stands on wood and stack wood blocks up to frame.. I will never just rely on jack stands alone.... kind of like jumping out of an airplane with no reserve chute.. :D