Jacking up a Boat

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I get my new "project" home, I need to get it off the trailer for some serious trailer maintenance. The bunkers are shot, I don't know the bearing condition, needs rewiring, etc.<br />How do I get a 20' cuddy off the trailer at home?<br />It would also be nice if the boat was lower to the ground for the interior rebuild, but it must be steady enough to have me and probably one other person moving around.<br />The motor's coming out, too. I may need to do that while it's on the trailer. I can rig up a chainfall just about anywhere, but will most likely pull the motor up, move the boat out from under and set the motor in the truck bed.<br />Also, I know the hull has some dings and chips that need repair that i can see and I imagine that there are some spots where it rests on the bunkers.<br />Any help will be great.<br />For your peace of mind, I do have a fair amount of common sense. I don't see myself trying to sting up the boat in the garage or anything...

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jacking up a Boat

if its an inboard/outboard boat most of the weight is at the rear end.. to chock it off the trailer u need two blocks under the keel one at the rear end which takes most of the weight and one about 2/3 along toward the front.. and at least two perhaps four side supports/legs to stop it tipping over.. <br /><br />a safe way to support the rear end is a block either side and a strong beam across the blocks.. u then only need two small blocks at each side of the beam on the top to stop the boat tipping.. doing it this way enables the boat to be tipped slightly to get at the hull better and it can never fully tip over..<br /><br />getting it off the trailer.. jack the rear of the boat as best u can.. take as much weight off the trailer as u can.. securely block the rear end..<br /><br />if u can fasten the boat to something to stop it moving forward.. then useing the trailer winch or a tow car.. pull the trailer slowly forward.. it should start to slide out from under the boat..<br /><br />as it slides out u need to keep jacking further forward along the keel and insert a block.. u can also jack the rear end and block it higher..<br /><br />keep doing it bit by bit and the trailer will come right out from under the boat..<br /><br />getting it back on is a reversal of getting it off.. push the trailer as far under the boat as it will go..the front of the trailer will be up in the air.. fasten the trailer to something to stop it moving back and winch and pull and jiggle the boat back on the trailer.. a few spare pairs of hands helps.. so does a wheeled jack or some kind of wheeled trolly suporting the rear end.. he he..<br /><br />trog

Buttanic

I did a 22 footer on the trailer. I used a jack between the boat and tralier to jack up the boat and put blocks between the boat and the trailer. I had it about a foot above the trailer. Removed the bunks and rollers for replacement and sanded and repainted the bottom. Pull the engine before you jack It up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Friz, Every boat I have seen on blocks was supported in three places. Both stern corners and under the bow. It may also be adventageous to remove the motor prior to removing the trailer.<br /><br />There are many methods to get the boat off the trailer. The easiest (for me) is to lower the tongue of the trailer, stack cement blocks under each corner of the stern, topping with a 2X6 block. Now jack up the bow with a hydraulic bottle jack and a vee block (2X6 with two 2X2's nailed to it), and pull the trailer out until the first cross member. Use another jack or cement block behind the cross member, to support and remove jack. Repeat for all cross members. (a bit tedious) Be real careful the boat doesn't fall on you.

bdirect

Seaman

Friz<br />My 24 cuddy has a bow cleat that is desinged to allow for lifting the bow of the boat. I block the stern lift the bow with a chain lift and very very very carefully inch the trailer forward. I do have boat stands that i place along as i move the trailer. I have done my 15ft tri hull with the engine on using Blocks as suggested above.

tommays

Admiral

when you up on blocks and there is no motor in the boat you NEED TO BE CAREFULL when your working forward<br /><br /><br />thing of the boat like a tricycle it loses a lot of stabilty when the weight of the motor is gone<br /><br /><br />tommays

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get a load of old tires and use these to cushion and wedge the hull.<br /><br />Without sounding too stupid, getting it off is the easy bit. Before the boat comes off, give detailed thought as to how you're gonna get it back on.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've jacked up a few boats in the past to do some trailer work. All of the suggestions above sound good and will work. Here's another option. I use this method now when I have to do some trailer work. I have a friend with a slip and he lets me launch the boat and keep it there for the weekend while I do my trailer work. Trust me...this is by far the preferred method if you have the resource. No jacking, no blocking...<br />Good luck and be safe..

trog100

the last suggestion is a good one.. put the boat in the water if u want to work on the trailer.. another if u want to work on the boat bottom while its on the trailer is to jack up one side of the boat at a time.. do the work drop it down then do the other side..<br /><br />a pic of a boat on chocks..<br /><br />
boat-legs.jpg
<br /><br />trog

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help.<br />I think I'll jack it up just enough to work on the trailer underneath as per Buttanic. I never even thought of that.<br />I appreciate all of your inputs. Since this is my first boat (other than a little johnboat), I plan on using this forum a lot instead of making all the mistakes again.<br /><br />Experience is not the most efficient teaching method, but it is usually the most effective.