Jacking a tandem axle trailer safely

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Let's say I have a flat tire to change on the side of the road.
Is it safe for the axle to use a bottle jack under it near the spring to lift the wheel?
I'm worried about bending the axle, since my boat on the trailer is 9200 lbs.
And jacking from the frame would take too much lift from the jack.

My 20T bottle jack is around 8'' high and the clearance under the spring is 8-1/4''. So, it does fit with an inflated tire, but if it is flat, it won't.
What should be done, or not?

Drive the good tire on a ramp to suspend the flat tire? I'm not sure this work with spring axles...
also, does doing that put too much stress on the frame and axle?

Drive the flat tire on a ramp to be able to fit the bottle jack under the axle?

I have a 3T floor jack with lots of raise, but it is not strong enough to lift one wheel, the bypass engages.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have always used a floor jack right near the spring pad, never had a problem, but the axles I used were both built from 1/4” thick steel. First one was a 2x2 3500 axle the second which replaced that one is a 2x3 6000 axle.
Maybe also use a block of wood with the bottle jack to spread the load out.Load Rite upgrade 6000 drop axle.jpg

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Couldn’t bend the end of the axle with a bottle jack if your life depended on it.

The yield strength of A36 steel is #36,000 psi.

Lifting just one tire off the ground of a #9200 tandem trailer requires # 2,300. A #6,000 jack should be by-passing at that load

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I carry an aluminum 2 ton floor jack with me when I tow.

Your plan of driving the good tire will work fine. You may not even have to jack up the flat tire depending on the trailer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No need for a jack on a tandem with springs. Got one of these for my wife when trailering

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
No need for a jack on a tandem with springs. Got one of these for my wife when trailering

I heard those worked only with a torsion axle, not leaf spring. which one do you have^

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I carry an aluminum 2 ton floor jack with me when I tow.

Your plan of driving the good tire will work fine. You may not even have to jack up the flat tire depending on the trailer.
My 2T aluminum jack is not strong enough. It should since 2T=6000lbs, but it must be chinese lbs lol.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have a 40 year old made in Japan Craftsman floor jack that works great!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I heard those worked only with a torsion axle, not leaf spring. which one do you have^
Boat trailer (Loadrite) has springs. Horse trailer (Sundowner) has torsion. Works on both.

Too many variables if it will work or not.
Easiest to jack wheel 5” inch off the ground and see if the other tire is off the ground.

Worst comes to worst you could always unhitch and lower tongue jack to raise the rear wheels

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My 2T aluminum jack is not strong enough. It should since 2T=6000lbs, but it must be chinese lbs lol.
2T=4000#

You don't need to get both wheels off the ground. Just the one that is flat. Half of the weight on one side will still be on the good tire. I have a 26' boat*not quite as heavy as yours) and I have no issues using it on it. Get a 3000# aluminum jack. I have a big tote that I carry a jack, jackstands and cheap torque wrench with. It sits under my travel trailer when not in use

Last edited: