jack rabbits

david j mills

Recruit
i have a 25ft boat on a tandom axle trailer, package weight is close to 6800lbs tow vechile is 2008 dodge durango with trailer package. when on the highway the rear of my vechile will bounce up and down. trailer tongue weight is correct. help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: jack rabbits

may need a weight distribution package, it distributes the weight better. throws weight forward off the tail of the vehicle. proper tongue weight would be 680 and up on the tongue, that's a lot on the back of the vehicle.

mattpyle

Seaman

What's the rig say it's rated to pull? And what's the tongue weight rating at?

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's a simple thing, but I overlooked it this spring. Check all the tire pressures, mine were off by 5-10 lbs after sitting all winter. I have an 08 aspen with the same set up and the trailer seemed to be all over the place. I was complaining to a truck driver who mentioned tire pressure. My trailer is probably close to 6K and other than the occasional dip in the highway I think everything rides pretty well now.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with tashasdaddy. Get a load distributing hitch setup and you will take care of it. at 6800 pounds with a durango I would absolutely have one. Even with my GMC 3/4 ton diesel truck I like to use a weight distributing hitch when I get over about 8000 pounds trailer weight and the Durango is a much less capable truck.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 25ft boat on a tandom axle trailer, package weight is close to 6800lbs tow vechile is 2008 dodge durango with trailer package. when on the highway the rear of my vechile will bounce up and down. trailer tongue weight is correct. help.

max tow rating of 8,950 pounds I would say its not meant for such a yacht. try renting or borrowing a larger truck, see if it does the same thing.