Jack Plates

T. MELTON

Cadet
Hey guys, I am pretty new here in the forum so I hope you all can help me decide which jack plate to buy. I want to increase my speed and ride on my 94'185LS (18 1/2') Hydrasport Bass boat . It has a Fast Strike 150 on it and runs only 60.4 gps with a 24" Raker on it @ 5300-5400r's. My question is will a 6" or a 8" be best for this and also does any body know how I can up the ponies about 15-25 hp ? I am really wanting to see as close to 70 mph as I can get. Thanks, any suggestions or help will be greatly appretiated. Tom

Ron G

Commander
Re: Jack Plates

I would go with a hydraulic jackplate that will let you set up your motor with a push of a switch,you can cruise down the lake and raise the entire motor while going alot of advantages.5300 to 5400 rpms seems like thats close to luggingyour motor.seems like you already got a pretty good setup,is that a 3 blade or 4 blade prop?

T. MELTON

Cadet

IT is a 3 blade and it runs out pretty good ,I was just looking for some more speed. I assume the tach is pretty accurate but, I'm going to try my shop tach on it. It doesn't seem to lug down at all. I can't really afford a hyro jack plate thats why I was wondering about any minor engine mods. Thanks for the quick reply! Tom

walleyehed

Admiral

Engine mods won't gain anything unless you can maximize the total set-up. Once you reach maximum potential, it takes 12HP for a 1MPH increase..read that as 100-120 more HP to pass 70.."IF" your maximized at 60, which you are not.<br />Depending on hull design, I think a jackplate, high-speed lower unit and some serious testing will be required to get near 70

T. MELTON

Cadet

Thanks for the input, I will go ahead & get a jack plate but should I get a 6" or 8" setback ?<br /> Thank you Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The set back depends on the balance of your boat. Battery placement, livewells full or empty etc. Thats a fairly short boat so it wont take much to make a difference. If you go with a 6" you can add the 2" spacers -- or remove them. Again it depends on the balance now but the 10" may be a bit much although that motor is pretty light.<br /><br />On the other hand, 5400 is indeed pretty close to lugging that motor. The prop is working well. Youre right at 10% slip which is pretty good.<br /><br />I wouldnt worry about trying to get more ponies until you figure out how to use all of what you have. If you get where you can swing that 24 at 6200 and stay at 10% slip youll be right at 69 mph.

T. MELTON

Cadet

I beleive that that engine is at max rpm at 5500 although, I may be wrong. Will 6200 just be to much for that engine ? Thank for the reply ! Tom

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Listen to Dhadley. He's the expert for setting up motors & boats & tweaking them for max performance. Actually running you motor at 5400 is lugging it. We try to get 5800 with a normal load.

T. MELTON

Cadet

Hey Dhadley, I'm not questioning your expertise but, my Clymer manual has 4500-5500 as being max throttle rpm. Is this a possible mis-print or is my engine just something weird? As always thank you very much! Tom

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

That's what most of the manuals say but 5800 is the magic number.

T. MELTON

Cadet

Hey Dave, Thanks for the info I'll get the jack plate on & try to get the rpm's up some. Do you happen to know where I can get a good used Sea Star Pro power steering unit ? The last time I had a jack plate on that boat I couldn't hardly steer it because the steering cables were in a slight bind. Thanks Tom :cool:

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry can't help you on that one. My boat's too small to worry about that kind of steering.

T. MELTON

Cadet

:cool: Well, thanks any how it's been good speaking with you and I'm sure we'll be in touch again . Like they say, if you play you pay.$$$$$ Thanks again Tom