Jack Plate Help

mischief

Cadet
I understand that the addition of a jack plate to a boat will increase performance and economy by allowing the prop to run in "cleaner" water as well as the ease of raising/lowering the motor for proper height. I have seen many adds for jack plates with 5",6",8",10" setbacks. My question is, how do you determine the amount of setback for a particular boat/motor combination. I just ordered a Triton DV 176 Magnum with a Mercury 150 XR6 and would like to have one put on. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jack Plate Help

Experience is the best way to know. Triton can provide the answer I'm sure. If you'd still like to double check call Bob at Bob's Machine, 941-645-3966.<br /><br />I'd assume a good start would be the 5" convertable. It'll convert to a 2 1/2" plus you have a 6 degree wedge choice.<br /><br />With a set of 2" spacers you can test at 2 1/2", 5" and 7". That should keep you busy for an hour or two. Lol!<br /><br />Check out the website for more info -- www.bobsmachine.com -- real nice folks!

KCLOST

Commander

Probably all of them will work, it's just a matter of finding the perfect motor height for each. The longer the setback, the higher the motor can go, just as long as you don't loose water intake....<br /><br />You also want to consider how much play you have with the wiring harness and steering cable... :eek:

mischief

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for the delay in replying....just got my computer fixed.