J90TLCEM water tube

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
just picked up a 1989 90hp Johnson, needed an impeller and a "tune up". Got the parts all ordered for the impeller but I have a question. Were the water tubes made out of copper? I do not recall seeing copper water tubes in my previous 90's and the tube seems to be a tad short. I went back to the seller and he finally admitted there was water blowing out of the exhaust but per him still squirting out the telltale. Compression is 120 in each cylinder, not even a 1 lb difference. I am wondering if someone made a new water tube from some copper tube and guessed too short? I see that the part number is discontinued and 20 minutes of scanning the web showed none available. Still looking but in the mean time, any thoughts about the copper tube will be appreciated..
thanks,
Bill

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes they have been copper for many , many years.-----How much tube is sticking out .----On occasion folks damage them by using bolts to pull the lower unit up.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can get some exhaust/water coming out from the seam between the lower unit and the midsection if the lower exhaust (320921) rubber gasket is missing or deformed when installed.

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got everything back together after a few weeks with wrist in a cast. No water out telltale. Verified tell tale was clear with weed wacker line. Pulled lower unit back off, verified that the wedge is between the impeller and shaft, and verified that the impeller turns with the shaft. took a piece welding of brazing rod and tried to push it up the tube. Went about 8 inches and stopped. Stuck a real bright flashilght down there and the water tube is crimped closed. Obviously someone used the bolts to pull the lower unit on previously. I have tried grabbing it and can't twist it at all. I assume it is stuck in the rubber grommet at the top. What is the preferred method of removing the water tube? If it is bull strength I might need to get some help!

interalian

Commander
Goes in from the top. Power head has to come off and the adapter plate has to come off the exhaust housing/leg.

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ouch - not the answer I was looking for. This favor is turning out to be time consuming!
How much of a job is that on a 1994 115? Bolts, hoses, wires, shift rod?

interalian

Commander
Depends a lot on corrosion, but the power head can be left wired and assembled and lifted as a unit - just need to unplug the big red plug and take off the fuel line and shift pin and cables (plus a few other odds and sods). Leg has to be off, then you should be able to get the exhaust housing off by taking off the four bolts to the bottom motor mounts. Might be more - my coffee hasn't kicked in fully yet.