J90MLCRD-'84 90hp Broken exhaust bolt boss

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
The pic wil do a better job of describing what I'm up against. I cannot be the first to have had to deal with this. It is a second hand block that had good enough cylinder liners to bore, but has been into before and was put back together with box store grade 3 garbage 1/4 20 exhaust cover bolts. As if that wasn't enough, none were coated in anything, loctite blue, aviation gasket sealer, nothing. So of the 20 cover bolts, 15 broke off. I've got all of them cleaned up but this one. The backside of the threaded bolt boss broke off. I'm going to helicoil the hole. My main concern is leakage from the inside of the engine around the bolt (that piece of gasket that right now is unsupported) and then to the outside strip of gasket material on the cylinder side of the bolt hole. I had a mechanic I admire greatly tell me once that if "it leaks past the inner bolt gasket, it's gonna leak past the outer." I really don't know if this is gospel, but it has always been believable by me. So I have a couple of questions. #1, In an experienced builders opinion, is this going to leak as is? #2. If so, Should I try to find me a good welder who can tig fill the missing material? #3. If I can't come up with a welder who can or will do this, What if I drill 1/16" holes about 1/4" deep and pin stainless wire in the holes. Using these pins like a dentist uses tiny burs of miniature rebar in a badly broken tooth, then form a block of JB around them, cast the JB, then drill, tap, and use something like 4 mm or less stainless Allen screws threaded to the block to keep that in place. I had a JB fix in place, it looked great, I really thought it would work but when the machine job dipped my block the acid broke the bond between the JB and the block. I picked the JB block off with my fingers. Not good. The idea of a chunk of JB falling into the exhaust is unsettling. So I'm glad it came off in my hand, in my shop. So as much as I have had major success fixing stuff with JB, after the chunk came off with no effort, I'm not to sure JB alone will stand up to that hot oily environment, depending solely on a chemical bond . I did form work for years, this seems like micro scale concrete and rebar with JB and stainless wire. Have I gone over the edge? I've got a lot of time and pretty healthy chunk of change in the project. Thanks in advance for checking out a wordy post.

Attachments

• Broken boss.jpg
    Broken boss.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find a welder.----Or look into a product called ---lumiweld or similar products.-----Or call a welding supplier and ask for aluminum brazing rod.