J225VXSIF cracked block - options

elhombre

Seaman
Recently purchased a J225VXSIF (2001 Johnson 225hp, 2 stroke carburetted looper) to repower my Grady White. Got it in the water Fri nite, went for a shakedown Sat am. Everything seemed fine, idle, acceleration, WOT rpm 5000-5500... The problem appeared after shut-down. Lots of water in the engine case/cowl. So I ran it and found water leaking from an apparent crack in the port side of the block appx 3-4 inches long. The leak is a multiple stream spray rather than a seep. Needless to say, I didn't see see any evidence of this on the pre-purchase insp. Compression was 90psi +/-2 on all 6. I took pictures of it running with the cell phone but I haven't figured out how to post em yet. Feelin a little desperate here...Legal, moral, ethical comments aside- what are the odds for assessing condition of the water jacket with a boroscope and welding the crack if plausible? Ideas, comments, feedback appreciated- Thanks, Mike

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: J225VXSIF cracked block - options

Could possibly be TIG welded. Make sure the welder has outboard block weld experience. Hate to say this, but you should never have bought a motor w/o running it under load 1st. Post a picture showing exactly where the leakage is.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Depending upon location it can be welded. The following suggestion is not the correct repair, but it has been done with success. Clean the paint from around the crack, rough it up with some sand paper and then clean it with some breakclean to remove any oil or fuel from the area.
Use some JB weld to completely cover the crack and let dry completely. I have used this process for emergency repairs that have lasted what seems like forever. Like I said, this is not the propper repair, but it will work. If you do a really good repair you can paint it and you woun't even know it is there.

levi_tsk

Ensign

that may be the problem now daviet.... but yeah i got a buddy with a yamaha 50 thats been done up like that - it drips a small amount of water but runs AWESOME and has for several years

oh and youre not looking for just any kind of rod burner to weld it look for someone who SPECIALIZES in aluminum any less than that and itll just crack right next to the weld after the first heating and cooling cycle (im a pipefitter/rod burner by trade and no i dont do aluminum )

elhombre

Seaman

Thanks for all the feedback- I've had a couple of days to ponder this and my intention is to go with the JB weld repair with good surface prep and cleaning. I"ll post results and I appreciate you guys weighing-in. Thanks again, Mike

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If there is any way that you can make a small V in the middle of the crack(I will assume you know what I am talking about if you burn rod?) Pryor to filling it up with JB weld, and if a second application is needed, make sure you scuff up the first application before applying the second. If memory serves me correctly, it will take 48 hours to cure for use and 7 days to be fully cured. Good luck and keep us posted!

dazk14

Ensign

For this repair. Marine-Tex (Dark) is the product of choice and superior to JB weld. You MUST create tooth in the base material for a good bond and the area must be SPOTLESS before application.

I have run into brake cleaners that do not fully evaporate, so I'd suggest a final wipe down with acetone or lacquer thinner.

I believe the 2OZ runs about $15 and mix the whole batch - one shot - as you want the perfect ratio. Have enough material to do a single application - not "2 coats".

Since the block will operate at higher temperatures, summer temps are better than cool temps for application.

You should post a picture.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cleanliness is the key word. Clean it until you think it can't get any cleaner, then clean it once more. A V-shaped groove in the crack can be made with a Drimel tool. Good luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you don't have it welded, use the Gray Marine-Tex. Used it for the last 35 yrs and always had good luck with it. I personally don't like JB weld. Before doing all this work tho' I'd run a compression test on it.

elhombre

Seaman

Update: I made the repair with JB weld. Cured @ 24 hrs. Ran about a 10 min idle check in the slip, no leaks. Out on the river for about a 30 min run... cruise, holeshot, pretty much the range of typical operation and no leaks noted. The clock has started on this repair so I'll post up any developments. Thanks for the input everone. If I was doing it again I'd run a test using Marine Tex and JB weld for compairison prior to the repair. I have had good luck using JB weld in the past and hope my luck continues. I sure would like to close the book on this one and just, "Fhagedaboudit" - Mike