J & E rectifier/regulator question

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know if Johnson & Evinrude use a "crowbar" circuit in their rectifier/regulator units. This type system shorts out the unit and destroys it, if the battery is disconnected from the motor while it is running. I can't find any warnings regarding this in any of the manuals. If they did, and don't anymore, when did they stop?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: J & E rectifier/regulator question

Not on any I have come up against, Beernutz. That does not include every recent model.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: J & E rectifier/regulator question

Thanx, J.B. A friend has a '96 Oceanrunner 115 60 degree V, and has fried to R/R's lately. It has a later model powerhead with the vent hose coming form the top or the block, preventing the air-bubble syndrome. The boat is equipped with two batteries and an off-1-both-2 switch. Both batteries are two months old, and the connections are good with 2-guage wiring. He lets everyone in the neighborhood use the boat, and I suspected that someone may have mistakenly switched it from 1 to off.<br /><br />Guess we'll replace it again (if we can find one), and see what happens.