J 200 will not run

fishweed

Seaman
I will try to give as much info as I can with out being to long-winded; I have a 1993 J200 GT that I had tuned by the local mechanic(Great Guy and even better Mechanic). He did new plugs, electical check, sync and link, adjusted carbs, and new VRO.<br />I took the boat out and it ran great for about an hour. While running at about 5000 RPM, the motor suddenly sounded like it tried to suck a bird into the carburetor. The boat bucked, jumped, sputtered, coughed, and spit for five seconds and then tried to smooth out. The motor has not run since. I can get it to ideal very rough with the throttle advanced and will choke off if shifted into gear. Any help on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Walker

Captain
Re: J 200 will not run

Check compression and spark and get back to us.

fishweed

Seaman

Thanks Walker! I will do that this evening and report back tomarrow.

Max7

Seaman

maybe you heat a stick? or something with the propeler?

fishweed

Seaman

I just finished a compression and spark test. First off, the bottom plug on the starboard side was covered in black carbon. The middle plug on starboard was "wet-oil soaked".<br /><br />The compression test showed 90 to 95 psi across all cylinders.<br /><br />The spark test jumped a 7/16" gap on all but middle starboard, "wet-oil soaked" plug.<br /><br />I took the orange wire from this cylinder and moved it to other coils and got no spark where ever that orange wire went.

Walker

Captain

Okay, if I understand you right you switched the lead from the powerpack to the coil and the problem followed your switch. Right?? Sounds like your powerpack has gone south, but it really needs to be tested. Kinda expensive to replace,especially if its good. The carboned plug from the bottom starboard cylinder could be caused by a bad recirculation valve.

fishweed

Seaman

Yes that is right. I could not get a spark from that powerpack lead no matter which coil I hooked it to. I started to read in the mannual the tests for the powerpack, but I am too tired right now.<br /><br />On the carboned plug cylinder, I have pulled that carb and found a speck of trash in the needle valve seat during disassembly and cleaning. I am soaking the throttle body in parts cleaner over night just to be sure this carb is clean and clear.<br /><br />Could you tell me exacly where the reciculation valve is located and how to remove it. Is it pressed or screwed in?

Walker

Captain

The manual should show the location of the recirculation valves. Should have testing procedures for them too. The carb job might fix that one issue though.

fishweed

Seaman

Thank you for suggesting to check the recirculation system! I would have never thought to check it and would have never found this problem. The main check valve was bad and 4 out of 6 crankcase fittings were bad. Between these bad fittings and a possible dirty carb, this should fix one problem.<br /><br />Now for the expensive problem, the one cylinder that is not getting spark. The manual says to start testing at the timer base/sensor coil for only one cylinder without fire. I have only been able to test ohms on the timer base/sensor coil so far and it has already failed one of these ohms tests.<br /><br />I can read the proper 230 ohms between the port white lead and the staboard black/white lead. I cannot however read any ohms when testing between the port white lead and any other port lead. Should I go ahead and assume this part needs replacing or test some more?

Max7

Seaman

Hi this may help, move your bad coil to one that has spark, and if you get spark there,and still don't get spark on the other one,then is your coil,now if you don't keep geting spark in the same one that you swap then you have a bad power pack.

fishweed

Seaman

Just in case anyone happens to give a hoot, I thought I should post the final report to my original post.<br /><br />After much reading and testing, the final problem was a bad power pack. Now that the recirulation system is back in working order and a new power pack is installed, the motor is running great.<br />Now if I could just figure out how to catch bigger fish.....hummmm???<br /><br />Thank you all for your help!!!!