I've STILL got a misfire...plz help!

Ridiculous

Seaman
i've got this '75 75HP johnson stinger. been foolin around tryin to figure out a misfire situation and it seems i'm getting nowhere! well, i shouldn't say nowhere, it does run better than it used to but it still has a miss and i'm not gonna quit until i figure it out.

here's the things i've done:
rebuilt carbs
replaced spark plugs
replaced all 3 ignition coils b/c 2 tested bad so i did em all
replaced rectifier b/c it had burnt up wiring
did a "link n sync"
inspected flywheel, stator, and timer base. didn't really find anything except rust. i cleaned the rust with sandpaper and re-assembled.

so now i'm in need of someone to tell me how to test the parts such as power pack, stator, timer base, etc.

i do searches but all the troubleshooting things i find don't help me because i don't understand what they're all talking about. so i need some advice and troubleshooting tips/ideas.

please be sure to use layman's terms for example: don't use "test DVA voltage" tell me what that is and what i actually need to do, because on every troubleshooting guide i look at, it talks about this and i have no clue what DVA voltage is or how to test for it!

thanks in advance for everyone's help...and please...help me hit the water before christmas:D

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: I've STILL got a misfire...plz help!

Do you have an OEM manual for your engine?
It takes a special meter to do DVA voltage test, do you have one?
You can go to the CDI website for some troubleshooting tips.

Ridiculous

Seaman

Do you have an OEM manual for your engine?
It takes a special meter to do DVA voltage test, do you have one?
You can go to the CDI website for some troubleshooting tips.

yes i have an OEM manual, but it also confuses me in the ignition section. the tools and test equipment they speak of is just so outdated i can't make heads or tails of it.

i don't have a meter that does DVA. the only meter i have is a cheapy digital multimeter from the local hardware store...no fluke by any means.

and i've been to the CDI website. it was slightly helpful to say the least. just still made my brain hurt, all this DVA talk. ya know?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I know the whole DVA thing can be confusing, but it is the way to check out your system. I don't think I could explain how to test your engine, except to tell you to follow the trouble shooting guides such as the CDI web site.

Ridiculous

Seaman

I know the whole DVA thing can be confusing, but it is the way to check out your system. I don't think I could explain how to test your engine, except to tell you to follow the trouble shooting guides such as the CDI web site.

well, maybe i'll invest in a DVA meter. i'm a diesel tech by trade so i'm sure i could always find a use for it. and i'm not gonna pay anyone to work on my antique of an outboard sooo......

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

In the meantime, start reading sites like the CDI one and it might start to make sense.

Ridiculous

Seaman

thanks for your insite daviet!

anyone else, feel free to help me out here!

Ridiculous

Seaman

ok, question...is a dva adapter and a dva meter the same? is there such a thing as a dva meter or do you just need the adapter?

so confused...

bktheking

Vice Admiral

In a nutshell- the DVA meter has the capability, the adapter allows you to measure high AC fluctuating voltage on a regular multimeter.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The adaptor is made to plug into a digital meter to convert it to measure the high voltage.

Ridiculous

Seaman

ok, so if i didn't have a meter, i'd get a meter capable of dva

if i do have a meter, i'd get the adapter

correct?

my meter is kinda a p.o.s. anyway, so where do i find a dva capable meter at a reasonable price?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

There are a lot of different meters available.
Start a new post "What DVA meter should I by", you will probably get ansewers from some of the people that use the meters every day.

Ridiculous

Seaman

cool, thanks guys!

and still, i need all the help i can get, if anyone else has info for me, please feel free to add it!

Ridiculous

Seaman

here's a video i uploaded of it. doesn't really do it justice plus it sounds bad because the exhaust is blowing into my shop. but i still will share!

My Misfiring Stinger

Ridiculous

Seaman

thanks for the link and advice ranger danger...

so all these dva reading are done with the engine idling, correct?

AlTn

Commander

just pull the plugs and ground the leads and take readings when you turn the motor over...300 rpms or so activates the ignition....have you tried an inductive timing light on each spark plug lead to see if this affects only one cylinder?...