Ive royally Screwed up (I believe)

Gerkin

Seaman Apprentice
I would have been in the water this August, but I believe I really messed up and I had to step away from the boat till now.
Everything was ready to go back in the boat (Engine and drive)
Installed the drive and decided to replace the gimbal bearing. Everything I saw and read said that the bearing was pressed in on Alpha and pre-Alpha. However, I have the 888 which is before the pre-Alpha. That one has a large Circlip (which was covered in grease so I didn't see it.
I think you may see where I am going.
I tried to tap out the bearing from the inside since the engine was not installed. Ended up breaking the cast lip which retained the Circlip. Now the drive is garbage.
I did have a Pre-Alpha in the shop. Figured I would just toss that on and install the 888 Ford 302.
That drive is slightly bigger, so I had to open the transom a bit to fit the drive. Then found that the Ford 302 bellhousing does not fit the Pre-Alpha inner transom mount.
How bad did I screw up?? Feel free to rip me a new one, but I really need some advise on what to do next. Do I have to go to a chevy? What other options do I have?
Thanks all

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
When you have an old transom with the snap ring retainer and are replacing the bearing with a new style the snap ring is not used. You just drive the bearing in.
Considering Ford has been out of the marine business for a long time, install a late model GM motor that matches the rear mount width
The only other tip for you and others is to obtain a manual BEFORE breaking things when doing your own repairs

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you need a replacement part for something old and it is not available aftermarket, you could try Ed's Surplus Boatyard in Manzanola, Colorado. It's south of Denver about 2 hours drive to Pueblo and then east about 30 minutes drive. He parts out boats and has a couple of acres of boats in various stages of parting out.