I've got my hand fixed!!

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
I had a day in hospital on Thursday and have had my left hand fixed at long last.<br />I had a DUPUYTRENS CONTRACTURE (Vikings Curse) removed by surgery and hope to get full use of my hand back over the next 3 - 4 weeks.<br />Waited for about 6 years for it to grow to the stage that it could be removed.<br />Now all I need is some one to keep working on my boat for me while I have this wounded wing.<br /><br />Regards to all<br /><br />Peter

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I've got my hand fixed!!

Well that is good news! I don't know what DUPUYTRENS CONTRACTURE is...but iam gonna find out! mean while, why did you have to wait 6 years?/ you are going to find out who your friends are. bring your boat over and i'll work on it...sl

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Great news peterf...now if you would send me airfare to and fro I would fix your boat for you while you are recovering... :D

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the offers of help guy's.The dressings should be off in about 10 days time so I can then get some limited use of my hand from there on.<br />The problem was a growth that attaches itself into the ligaments in the hand that control the fingers.<br />If left it will cause the finger(s) to curl up into the palm and in time lose the use of the joint. :( <br />Problem 2 tho is that it needs to grow to a size before it can be removed so the result of that is that the finger was already well bent at the top knuckle and for the past year I have been having increasing difficulty in using that hand for most of normal day to day stuff. :mad: <br />Its an hereditary gene that originated in Northern Europe hence the nickname of "Viking's Curse"<br />Anyway like I said its gone now and hopefully I can carry on with life without too many problems on that score again.<br />Ive had a couple of days off work and go back to light duty again tommorow (Monday)<br />I am in the process of establishing a Training School for Construction Equipment Operators at present so at least I can continue that work but will have to be careful of my hand for a while when climbing around equipment.<br />The boat? well it will wait until I can get back to her again.<br /> :) :) <br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

peterf, <br /><br />I must be a "doubly cursed Viking" - had Dupuytrens Contracture in both hands. I was wise enough not to both hands done at the same time - figured if I did, I'd soon learn who my really good friends were! <br /><br />Had the operations about 4 years ago (about 4 months apart) and things are doing great today. No bumps, can hold both hands flat to the table, no pain and the scars are almost invisible.<br /><br />I recommend you take full advantage of any and all physical therapy offered - it works wonders. Ask them for the silicone pads to help reduce the scaring.<br /><br />Good luck - just think how much better the hand will be when it's all over!<br /><br />tcube

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

tcube,<br />Hey thanks for that, unfortunately both my parents have it, my brother has it, my son will probably get them.<br />My Dads brother had both hands done at the same time some years back, not for this kid. 1 is enough. I need both paws working, my right hand is still clear at this stage (now 55) so I might get away with that.<br />My first appointment with the physio is on Weds afternoon so all is good at present.<br />Thanks for the good advice, I will follow all the required treatments.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Peter

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Update.<br /><br />All the stitches are out now. Skin Graft looks great (so long as you dont look at it)<br />Middle finger and palm still in splint at this stage.<br /><br />Regards<br />Peter

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Good for you! I like hearing about someone's problems being resolved, especially when it involves health and being restored to fully able-bodied. Thank God!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that stratosfied.<br />Yes everything is going to plan and my physio is still happy and not growling at me.<br />Had a small setback with the disolving stitches that did'nt but its looking good now.<br />finger is still very stiff and I can't put any big loading on it but I'm happy with progress to date.<br /><br />Enjoy your new BBQ cooker too BTW.<br /><br />Those others are only jealous coz you won it and not them..<br /><br /> :) :) <br /><br />Peter