Its that time of year again....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
When the school system starts prompting the kids to learn to play a musical instrument. Ugggg....

My oldest boy, now 19, learned to play the clarinet well enough to sound just north of horrible. Unfortunately for me and my wife, we were dumb enough to do the "rent to purchase" agreement on the clarinet. Spent around $500 total, but it did include free repairs when the kids broke them. And it was broken once. Now it is in good shape. In a closet. Somewhere.

This year, school gave the kids a choice of instruments to learn. My 10 year old daughter wants to play the flute. So the 'rent to own' agreement comes to almost $700. No way. Wife checked with her friends to find a student flute hiding away in a closet, but no one had one to sell. She eventually found a Suzuki Student model brand new retail for $180 so we bought it.

I know from past experience with my kids, that after a few years of piano lessons, even with my ability to play and read music to help them, they eventually lose interest. At least the piano they can still sit and play when they want to. How often does the opportunity to play the flute or clarinet come up in your life? How often do you visit someone and say, "hey look at that old flute, I used to play one" and sit down and play? Never. But that will happen time and time again with a piano. My oldest boy still plays when he comes home, but refuses to take any lessons.

Oh well, I guess the school has to have a full rounded program, including music education. But it sure is expensive for the parents if they just take the offer from the school and not shop around.

End of rant. :D

BTW, when I was in 4th grade (1968) the instruments were the property of the SCHOOL. The parents were responsible for the condition of the instruments when they were returned. The school offered insurance that was rather cheap. This is the way it was all the way through high school. Apparently that all changed with my youngest sister, who owned her $3000 Saxophone until her boy friend hocked it. My Dad was MAD!!!!!

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Its that time of year again....

I played trombone in school. My dad wanted me to play trumpet and went and bought one from a pawn shop or somewhere. I told him I didn't want to play trumpet and could he return the trumpet and get me a trombone.

Played trombone from 6th grade all through high school. I played in marching band, pep band, concert band, and dance band.

Now dance band was another story. This was in the mid '60s and we were playing all the stuff our parents listened to during WWII. Glenn Miller, Dorsey brothers, etc. Talk about us hating the music the band director forced us to play.:mad: However, I still like "In the Mood"
The director finally updated to some things that were at least a little more modern.
My trombone was stolen back in the '70s and I've never picked one up since then.
I can see what you're getting at though. You don't exactly take a trombone on a camping trip and play songs around the fire with it.:eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is not meant to be hijak, but sorta is . . . I was just at the JV football game yesterday, I was talking to a dad of one of the cheerleaders. It costs them $2500 to buy in to that deal. Holy flip!!! :eek:

I agree Piano or Guitar seem to fit the bill as instruments that can easily be played for a lifetime. Back on topic . . . :)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm

I played an Alto Saxophone from 5th grade till HS graduation...

I look back at my band memories as some of my fondest from HS... Was best in the school, sat First chair in 10th grade beating out the senior...

That was over 20 years ago... I couldn't play a note today, or even read music anymore... and you're correct, its not something you would pick up and toot just for the heck of it..

I think its more about the experience, and social building then anything else... (unless they are going to be a music major). I think it builds excellent discipline, and communication skills, and as soon as my son is old enough, I am going to encourage him to pick out an instrument and play... like I said, mostly for the experience of the whole thing!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Play trumpet, piano and keyboards from when I was 5 (piano) 11 (trumpet) and 40 (keyboards) currently have all 3 in the house but the piano and keyboards are always the ones to be played regularly. My son is a drummer and keyboard player so we have quite the jam sessions here at times.
It is very expensive however to support your children on something that they lose interest in after a short while.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

gee, i envy you. i took lessons, the teacher was honest, she told my Mom, that is was a waste of money. i now have to agree. i have no musical ability, but i can build you a house, and make your outboard run.

skargo

Banned

Check with your local consignment shop. I own one, and we just took in a real nice flute. I'll have to research it but we'll probably sell it for $150 or so. People try and consign everything.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

My side of the family....we were all put in to the local Brass Band...I played the Euphonium....and I wish it had been something like the guitar.
Now the wifes side is different.
All the men went in to the Pipe Band as kids.
Her Dad was a Piper. Grandad too, but when he lost his arm in the War he became the guy out the front leading them.
Those that lasted are life long pipers or drummers, and they take pride in getting kitted up. Gavin is so damned good as a drummer he has had invites to the Edinborough Tatoo.
It is a way of life.

Cheers
Phillip

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

gee, i envy you. I have no musical ability, but I can build you a house, and make your outboard run.

I admire anyone that can play any instrument.That means they have more musical ability in their pinkie toe nail than I have in my entire body.

Check with your local consignment shop. I own one, and we just took in a real nice flute. I'll have to research it but we'll probably sell it for $150 or so. People try and consign everything.

Or Pawn Shops.Twenty years ago my niece wanted to play the flute.So my brother priced them from here and there and decided that $300 was too much for the budget.On a whim he went into a pawn shop and they had one in an old beat up case for $125.He gave him $25 and made arrangements to bring $25 a week until paid off then he would have her flute.

Three weeks later when he gave the shop his payment the guy told him that since it would cost him $20 to get it cleaned that he could just take it.

Now the cool/interesting part.He took it to a music store near his home and the owner opened the case and looked at the manufacturer's name and literally gasped.It turns out the flute was SOLID SILVER made in France!!!!
He offered $1,000 right away.

Anyway the end was he got $1,300 for that one and got the niece a new one and the $1,000 difference came in REAL handy for other stuff.

Not that everybody would get that lucky but you could probably get a good one for less.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My daughter came home with the band thing. So, my rules were:
1. It has to be an instrument that She could carry to and from school herself. ( We live 3 blocks from the school)
2. It had to be a manual instrument. No electronics.
(They play football games, sometimes it rains)
3. It had to be under $300 to buy one, used or new.

She settled on a trumpet. The music store had a reconditioned one for $300 with a warranty of a year, then after that it was on a maintenance agreement for about $25 a year. She still has and plays it now that she is 30.

tallcanadian

Captain

Not to worry mark. I too use to play the clarinet in junior high school. But soon found out I enjoyed boats and fishing more. Then came the girls and life was never the same. I guess we all can't be perfect. LOL. He's better off playing the clarinet.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have 6 guitars, (3 acoustic, 3 electric), and a piano. The piano gets played the most, and probably tuned only about every 2 years. I have a hammer to make minor tuning adjustments, but it takes a pro to tune the entire piano every now and again. Ant that usually means two strings break and need replacing.