It's runs GREAT!

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks to the forum, I have repaired another problem on my own! It is satisfying to be able to do on my own...

In past post's, I had an overheating issue that was presen only at higher RPM's (4,000 +). After trouble shooting and replacing a few easy parts, it became obviuos that the head needed to come off. Of course, heads bolts broke during the removal but with guidance here on the forum, I was able to extract 2 and the 3rd was fitted with a heli coil.

During observation of the heads after they were removed from the engine, the overheating problem was now obvious. Serious scaleing and blockage was present. I had the head lightly shaved and sand blasted the cover side opening all passages. After buying the new gaskets, the head were reassembled and all bolts torqued to spec.. The cover was not a sqaure so its new gasket was also sealed with some RED RTV sealer.

Then engine t-stats,switches and S-plugs were replaced and engine waited for this morning's test run.

I am happy to say that it ran for 25-30 minutes at 4,400-4,500 RPM's and no alarm. Aslo, the PSI guage that I thought was not working, now showed 20+PSI while running.

Total Spent...
80-shaved heads
-0- sandblasting(did myself)
140.00 new gasket kit.
4.00 Red RTV
-0- botle extraction
28.00 Heli coil kit
$252.00 and a little time out of the water. The other items such as Impeller and T-stat needed to be done so I didn't count them in the repair. I have no idea what this would have cost if I took it in for repairs but I'm sure it would have been much higher.

Again, much thanks to all that helped.

:) Big G

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: It's runs GREAT!

cool, the RTV will fail soon and it will also react with salt and create its own corrosion issues. what service manual suggested RTV ?

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmmm,,,,well thats not good news. It was recommended by the machine shop that surfaced the heads. They do more auto engine work and not marine. I guess I should take the covers off and remove the RTV, then replace with another gasket. Its not difficult to remove the covers now that the other work is done. Would this be what needs to be done?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

use something like Perfect seal or BRP gasket maker, its a paint on sealent that works well but will let go in the event ya gotta remove it one day, the acetic acids in RTV seem to react with Al and salt and create its own corrosion issues.
the shop I use clips me for 15 a head to surface them, but rates vary everywhere.
save the heli-coil kit, you may need it again :).
aint saltwater great ?