It's raise time...

eeboater

Commander
The company I work at began in 2000, I came on board around 2002 to run all of their technology. Not to toot my own horn, but since I began, I've created countless money saving improvements to processes, forms, and programs that we use. <br /><br />Last month, I found a way to save our company over $12,000 for the upcoming year. The year before, I saved our company around $15,000 in Overnight fees by moving our company to a digital imaging (scanning and emailing).<br /><br />I'm currently in the development of a web-based application which will help free up our loan officers to make more sales calls by providing instant responses to our customer questions through the web instead of having to sit at their desks waiting for calls from their customers. This is supposed to bring in a lot of $$ as well.<br /><br />I'm not saying I'm not getting compensated for my duties, I am getting paid well. But, my "raise" isn't usually comparable to what I'm saving the company. I think my raise last year was about 1.5% of my salary which I believe is higher than current inflationary rates but still... it isn't NEAR the 40-50K I've saved/brought into the company each year.<br /><br />Now I'm up at annual-raise time, and I'm waiting with bated breath to see what I'm going to get. Anyone else had a similar experience? I have a feeling it is common in the IT industry. The average employer has no idea what you do, but they know you do it and it gets done well. But since they have no clue, they aren't good judges at compensation? What do you guys think?<br /><br />Sean

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: It's raise time...

Hey Sean -<br /><br />I'm in IT also. At least in this area, where there are a lot of IT jobs, I've found that if you want to make the money you're worth, you have to change companies every few years to get paid what you're worth. <br /><br />What you might want to try doing though, is before your boss has all of your review paperwork together, make sure you remind them of all of the things you've done the past year and how much money you've saved the company.<br /><br />Good luck!

eeboater

Commander

Yeah js... I'm going to definetly do that. We're still a relatively "small" business at around 35 employees. A lot of the other employees are on a bonus structure where every loan we close they get 5 bucks or something like that. I'm going to "suggest" I get something setup like that.<br /><br />Sean

Homerr

Commander

I'm not in IT, but my company does the same thing.<br /><br />Before our review period, we get a form that allows us to explain what are some of the accomplishments we've made over the last year. That would be where you say what you've done for the company.<br /><br />I've saved I don't know how many thousands, but didn't get squat in return... However... my job is very steady and I like what I do, so I can't complain too much.<br /><br />I can think of a lot worse jobs to do! :eek: <br /><br />Jsfinn is right... remind them how valuable you are and show them what you've saved.<br /><br /><br />H.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah your right Homerr... yeah your right. i love my job, and I really shouldn't complain :) )

Twidget

Commander

Our raises have been 2-2.5% for the last 5 years. Company brags about record profits, then complains about raises. Guess its just the way of the world. :) <br /><br />Good luck, I hope you can get on some sort of bonus system.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

eeboater, in a way you are now a salesman. Without bragging or threatening, you should educate them as to what you do. Maybe they don't have a clue, and it is in your interest to explain your value. Sure it's touchy, but it's in their interest as well as yours that you are properly compensated for your work. <br /><br />Good luck!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

You computer weenies don't know how good you have it.<br /><br />The IT and programming guys where I work create more problems than they solve and they command outrageous salaries anyway. And it's the same the world over.<br /><br />I am especially amused when a computer weenie says he knows all about electronics and could fix radios too, like I do. Yeah, sure.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dogsdad - I bet the IT folk would create less problems for you if you stopped calling them "weenies"... :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

So Neil, what were you hired to do? If you are doing your job right you'll be making money for your company. If you're as good as you say you are, you'll be getting a big fat bonus.

Realgun

Commander

Eeboater just be happy they don't farm your job over to India. Keep begging for more and you will be standing in line with the rest of the IT community.

Joenational

Cadet

Dont feel bad, I am also in the IT field and i just swithced jobs due to not recieiving any raises, i didn't even recieve "job well done". i worked for the city and they put me on this big project that won an award and everything and i had no training at all. i had to learn either by studying it or breaking it and coming up with a fix and nothing in return. i also put together a few databases that cut down file procedures by more then 50% and nothing. so now that i am at a private smaller company i hope that i get what i want here. i love what i do but at the same time you must get paid for what you do as well, that is why i picked this field orginally. my advise is bring up the fact of saving them money of course do it a way where you dont look like your being cocky and see what the boss says.

ehenry

Commander

Your raise come straight out of what your manager gets. The less he/she gives you the more he/she gets and the better he/she looks to their management. Managers and directors generally get better bonuses and raises that the folks that are under them. I've learned this over the years I've been in IT. You can rest assured that your manager or your director is going to get his before you get yours. Thats a fact.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> You computer weenies don't know how good you have it.<br /><br />The IT and programming guys where I work create more problems than they solve and they command outrageous salaries anyway. And it's the same the world over.<br /><br />I am especially amused when a computer weenie says he knows all about electronics and could fix radios too, like I do. Yeah, sure.
HA!!! Dogsdad... you're a typical enduser. We bust our a** to make sure your life is tolerable at work. The IT section of companies are the most unappreciated division of most companies. Why? Because noone knows what the heck we do. When there are changes made to a system within the IT infrastructure at your employer, chances are it was because it had to be done! We don't just randomly change things for the heck of it. We just get called geek-wienie-nerds. I would PAY to see your organization run 1 month without anyone monitoring the technology. I guarantee you will be begging for us back.<br /><br />Sean

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Sean, I don't know if you have reviews or can talk to your boss and boss's boss but you have a case. If you are not happy with the raise remind them of the cost savings you have implemented. They may not know or remember. If possible be proactive and talk to them before the raise decisions are made. <br /><br />If they don't budge, you have a couple of great items for your resume. Good Luck.

D

DJ

The outfit I work for bases raises on ability, contribution and overall performance.<br /><br />Nothing-guarenteed.<br /><br />You don't perform, you don't get a raise.<br /><br />Works for me.