It's official.....

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Boating season is officialy over for me until spring.<br /><br />Was surprised to find out I had a day off over the weekend. Was going to take the boat out Sunday. <br /><br />When I checked the boat I had a very large puddle of gear oil on the ground behind her. Knew the prop seal was leaking, but only a few drips until now. Then the wind picked up to way to high for a fun day boating. Also truck was out of gas.<br /><br />After whining and complaining for the afternoon I decided it was time to put her up for the winter. I have a feeling we are in for a cold wet October this year. Shouldn't freeze hard enough to hurt anything until November but don't want to risk it. I am going to store it with the drive off this year so I can fix the seals and re-paint teh drive over the winter. <br /><br />Excluding you poor people that have to suffer living in warm weather all year, anyone else done for the year yet?<br /><br />Guess that means it is time to get the traps ready for a new season, coon huntin is only two months away.

woodrat

Ensign
Re: It's official.....

Boating season was officially over for me the day a 30" long crack showed up near the chine of my aluminum skiff. Ouch! Right in the middle of the salmon season! Ouch again!<br /><br />I'm going after them in a kayak this weekend, we'll see how it works.<br /><br />Normally for me, there is no end to boating season, and I hope to have my boat fixed in the next month or so, depending on what the welding will cost.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It's over for me after the fall color cruise. <br /><br />Oops, Kos may be watching. <br />Let me re-phrase. It's over for me about mid-October.

magster65

Commander

It's oh so tempting to tell you how nice it's been and how we boat all year round in our mild climate. I won't do that though 'cause that'd be mean!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

boating in the winter is tough...high winds, frigid cold temps...only reason I do it is because I never learned how to winterize. ;)

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Haven't decided yet DD.<br /><br />Waiting for a new (to me) Mariner 40 for my little RIB to arrive (should be this week) then might just chance a quick thrash around in the sea; the boat that is, not me :rolleyes: <br /><br />By the end of September it gets too cold for the sea, at my age :D so I guess it'll be the lakes for a few more weeks into November if we get any calm days and then just lay up the engines and wait............and wait some more.............and then a little bit more waiting........... :rolleyes:

Ron G

Commander

its about to really get started good foe me fishing should pick up ill take dec.off and then back at it.i love living in the south.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fishing is just starting to get better with the cooler weather coming. Plus all the water skiers and *@#! jetski people disappeer, hooray.<br /><br />Come December we walk on water up here.

Pony

Rear Admiral

i second that wildbill....fishing is just beginning. Once the lakes turn over up in the northwoods its great for the walleyes....then winter fishing begins.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going out this afternoon. I just put a 50hp 4 stroke I got a great deal on Ebay this summer on my boat. Boy do I love it. Quiet and sips gas.<br /><br />I haven't seen any posts about all the poor boaters on the gulf that lost their boats to the storms. Anybody know if your insurance covers your boat in a hurricane?

Realgun

Commander

Whats a boating season? In the winter you catch big Stripers. In summer you catch little white bass.<br /><br />Winterize? Whats that for? :D <br /><br />I like having an outboard all you do is lower the motor the water drains out and your good to go.

tommays

Admiral

i will see how fast the water gets cold<br /><br /> which is usally how i do my season i tend to avoide water i cant survive in for and 1 hour <br /><br />my wife starts her masters deg program tonight which is going to really cut into her free time for a while<br /><br /><br />tommays

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> boating in the winter is tough...high winds, frigid cold temps...only reason I do it is because I never learned how to winterize. ;)
Here in western Washington Winterizing is pretty much for Whimps! :D We can and do boat all year but each and every year thousands of people pay 300 bucks every year to have their boat winterized.. go figure :rolleyes:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

we have four seasons: pre-spawn, spawn, post-spawn, and deer :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Me to jtex,<br />spring, summer, fall, and go south. :D

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have not ice fished in years, but am threatening to do it one of these years. <br /><br />The hardest thing is cutting a big enough hole for the boat!

ziggy

Admiral

that was funny dd. bummer about yer oil drip. i'm hopeing to go till the first freeze or so. the fall colors on the lake are great. + ya get the whole lake to yourself as everyone thinks boating season ends at labor day it seems. i'm looking forward to the less crowded lake myself. i ususally go out till mid to end oct. hope your wrong about the wet cool october. last year, i think it was about mid oct. when it started to freeze at night. i got more boating to do i hope. old trisonic permitting of corse. :)

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its not over until you give up!<br />And I'm not giving up till Xmas.<br />I just love the 2 month Califorina winter.<br /> :cool: :cool: :cool:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Ziggy, where do you boat around Lincoln?<br /><br />I am close to Harlan County Dam myself. Go there and Lovewell a lot. <br /><br />Have been on Pawnee and Branched Oak (I think) lakes a few times.