Its Gettin Spark

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I got new carb on and impeller and everything on starboard motor is great. Put the new carb on port motor and the fuel pressure is about 5psi. Now it just sounds like there is no fire. I have spark (bit on the yellow side,weak?, not blue) Am I over looking something taht could be causing it not to start now.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Its Gettin Spark

it should fire even with a weaker spark, have you verified that fuel is making it Thru the carb and feeding the engine?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

When you post...You HAVE to let these guys know what type of engine (engines in your case) that you are having problems with..

The year would help as well....

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry. 1985 Searay w/ twin mercruiser 165's.

Yes I am getting fuel to carb.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thought I would bump up. Trying to get out tomorrow before holiday ends

Last edited:

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you thought about trying starting fluid? cant see why it wont start if it has spark and compression and fuel and the timing is right and firing order and and and is all correct

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have spark (bit on the yellow side,weak?, not blue)

It won't start with yellow spark. Are your batteries fully charged?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, used starting fluid.

Thanks Don for clearifing yellow spark. I was told that yesterday locally. I trust you guys here.

The batteries are being charged as we speak . I am buying one new one for the Port side. I am also going to go ahead and change the Cap,Rotor, and Ignitor. When I pull cap off there is this little electronic box called the Ignitor. That is in place of the points?

Last edited:

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: I went to buy new stuff for ignition system. The Ignitor is made by Thunderbolt. It's a conversion from points. $170.00:eek: I didn't buy it due to shop said it rarely goes bad. Was told to check coil. It has yellow spark to distributor also. So my coil is not sending enough voltage?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sounds reasonable to me...
I know it's fristrating..hang in there..I have a few issues that wont put me on the water this weekend I'm afraid!

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks CBK. I am coming to the conclussion we won't either:(. I will be back out in AM to keep up process of eliminations. Hoping its not Ignitor. I am thinging of taking ignitor off starboard motor if changing coil doesn't work on port. Will it effect Ignitor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Ignitor is made by Thunderbolt.

No, the Ignitor is made by Pertronix. he Thunderbolt system is Mercruiser, but not used on any of the 470's.
Have you tested voltage to the coil? Resistance tests on the coil and compared them to the manual?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check the voltage in the morning. :confused:Are you saying that the Ignitor doesn't belong on my motor? Its on both motors and they are 470's