It's Father's Day

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Hello everyone. What a good day for us that are fathers. My Dad past on years ago but left me with wisdom and taught me quite a few skills. I am sadden that I can't thank him in person anymore however, on fathers day I just seem to remember all the great things we together.<br /><br />Hunting skills so I can be safe and successful, fishing skills so I can enjoy life with patience, mechanical apptitude so I can repair the important things... those are just a fraction.<br /><br />The unique ability to ignore the jerks in the world and still be a gentleman while doing it.<br /><br />I never realized how good of a teacher he was until I recognized that my own son has the same knowledge. I guess through my own actions I managed to teach my son the same way.<br /><br />Today we should all be extra proud to be fathers and of our own fathers. <br /><br />Happy Fathers Day all.<br /><br />Bob :)

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: It's Father's Day

And each and every new day, never stop trying.<br /><br />....and try to never run out of answers for all those wonderful kid questions too!<br /><br />Happy Fathers Day.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What does it mean?<br /><br />I called my grandson today to wish him a happy Father's Day. His laugh was like a stroke of lightning. . . my Dad, laughing the way he did sixty years ago, at my little jokes.<br /><br />It really warmed my heart.

rogerwa

Commander

I've been considering giving my boat a name and I've thought of few that I am happy with. I saw one today that I thought was an absolute riot, but knew I could not get away with. It was: 'Driving Miss Lazy'<br /><br />After reading this post I think I have come up with it. I have four young kids (8, 7, 5, and 2) and owning a boat has been a lifelong family outing. With my Dad when I was young. And now sharing that time with my kids.<br /><br />The boat name I think would be good is: "Father's Day" What do you think?? Too corny?<br /><br />If so, then I will probably go with "Buoy Toy" Partly because my wife wouldn't understand the more adult meaning. (I am really not considering this name)..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, RogerWa.<br /><br />In general, I am bored with cutesie-poo boat names and names with double meanings.<br /><br />I think "Father's Day" is a great, straightforward name for a family treasure.<br /><br />All of my boats except one, since 1968, have been "Sunshine". The exception was "Heidi,Yawl". They have been named for women I love (In both cases, daughters). I am now on Sunshine III and anticipating adding Sunshine IV.<br /><br />Go with sentiment, off-color jokes are passe.

ebbtide176

Commander

i've never named a boat (with serious intent), but this is good reading. good story jb<br />and since i always try to think seriously of others opinions, i can say that i felt the same as jb. father's day is poignant.

rogerwa

Commander

Thanks for the feedback. I have not seriously considered naming my boat until now because I could not find a name that was truly meaningful and classy. <br /><br />The other suggestions are not serious, they are just my sense of humor. For instance, my wife is as type A as they get. So laziness is an irony..<br /><br />I also taught her just about evry dirty word she knows, and my education is not yet complete..<br /><br />My son (7) the other day said, 'Dad you know what I want for my birthday?' I said, 'What?'<br /><br />He said, 'I want a bat bag and to go fishing with you... Alone.' I just can't believe he picked me over Pokemon.

ebbtide176

Commander

i just wanted to write: You're a lucky man. take the kid fishing and go where you have confidence in a bite.