It's back together, but something's wrong!

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's back together, but something's wrong!

Hi folks.<br /><br />Well I finally got my Ford 302 (888 Mercruiser) back together after installing a timing set and a new Mallory breakerless distributor. Note: I've been chasing a problem in this engine for about a month and before I got to the point of doing the timing set, I did a lot of other stuff along the way. If more info is desired the following post has it. <br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=004279 <br /><br />Back to the present: So since the timing set gig requires removing the fuel pump and of course draining the oil, I decided to install an oil filter relocation kit, which I've wanted to do for years. <br /><br />So, after I got everything back together, I put in full synthetic oil (first time I've ever used it in my boat), made sure everything looked kosher, prayed and fired it up.<br /><br />It sprang to life, but now I have a loud knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the top end around number 4 cylinder. <br /><br />I did not attempt to investigate this because it was totally dark out and I am frankly worn out. <br /><br />The things going through my head at the moment are these: <br /><br />What could I have done that would have ruined something in the top end? I was extremely careful with the timing set install and although it took me an awfully long time to do it, I didn't encounter any problems with it. It went together very smoothly. I haven't done any work like this in about 30 years so maybe I did something in the removal/installation process that put something on a bind. could the process of removing or installing the damper have done this???<br /><br />Certainly the new distributor couldn't be a problem, could it??? <br /><br />Is it possible that the oil filter relocation kit has whacked the oil pressure enough to make something in the top, back end complain?<br /><br />Is it possible that the synthetic oil freaked the engine out? <br /><br />To do the timing set, I had to pull the fuel pump, and the water pump came off with the front cover as an assembly, so I never had to regasket the water pump. I don't however, believe either of these could be a problem. I don't see any water of fuel leaks. <br /><br />The only thing I see that I know is a problem for sure is the casting that the oil filter screws into (on the relo kit) has a leak. Not at the hoses or fittings, but a pin hole or hair line leak in the actual casting! You can't see a crack, but you can see the result of it. However, it's not gushing oil or anything, just a little steadily getting out, but I'll still have to deal with that and I'm thinking I'll pull the thing off and put the oil filter back in the block just to see what happens. <br /><br />I'm really not sure what to do next. Should I plan on pulling the valve covers and having a look, and if I do, what should I look for?? I am only guessing that it's number 4 cylinder. Maybe it's not even rocker arm or valve noise!!! Frankly I haven't done any serious wrenching since I was a much younger man and I'm not up on a lot of things that probably seem obvious to most everyone else. <br /><br />Well, I know there's tremendous knowledge on this forum and I hope you folks will give me some direction. <br /><br />Regards, crt.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: It's back together, but something's wrong!

"Is it possible that the oil filter relocation kit has whacked the oil pressure enough to make something in the top, back end complain?"<br /><br />On a kit that uses a Fram PH8A (or equivilant) oil filter, it's possible to install the hoses backward on either end of the re-location kit... The result is no oil pressure, because the oil will only flow thru the filter one way... Double check to make sure....<br /><br />If you installed it correctly, you should see very little, if any, difference in oil pressure..

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yo Snapper.<br /><br />I was excrutiatingly careful about the hose orientation, but I'll certainly check it out tomorrow. I do have oil pressure though and it may be just a tad lower than before as you suggested. <br /><br />Anyway, certainly the most logical first place to look!<br /><br />Regards, crt.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Exactly.. always focus on the last change that was done with the engine when attempting to find NEW problems.<br /><br />Here's an idea for you..<br />With the engine idling - short out the wires on the distributor cap one by one to see which one is causing the knock.<br /><br />Usually if you ground a test light to the carb center bolt you can stab the wires on top the cap one by one which will CANCEL the explosion in each cylinder thus discovering the culprit along the way.<br /><br />The one that is causing the knock should quiet down when you stab the wire leading to that cylinder.<br /><br />At least at that point you'll know which cylinder is causing the knock and you'll be able to focus in that direction to cure the problem.<br /><br />You haven't mentioned your oil pressure since the switch over to the new oil filter location?<br /><br />Has it dropped a lot? compared to before the switch? or is it the same as before?

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Captain HooknFinger:<br /><br />That's certainly a sensible idea and I'll get after it tomorrow. Beats pulling rocker covers at this point! <br /><br />As for the oil pressure, it may be a little less than before, but still over 40. <br /><br />The thing that really bothers me is that this noise is new, which leads me to believe that I did something wrong. I mean I've replaced the entire ignition system, rebuilt the carb and now this new timing set and instead of getting better, the thing is now making horrid noises, which it never did before! <br /><br />Dang it! :mad: <br /><br />Regards, crt.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You mention that you installed a new distributor, If I recall the shaft is keyed for oil pump drive, I would pull and reinstall the distributor, just to make sure its seated correctly.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

B I N G O ! :D <br /><br />I believe I finally got this sucker figured out.<br /><br />I removed the oil relocation kit, put a new oil filter in, topped off the oil and when I started it up the noise went away! YES!<br /><br />I have about 10 more psi of oil pressure without the relo kit and apparently the top end didn't like the deficit. <br /><br />So I went ahead and set the timing, which was a little too far advanced and I adjusted the fuel level in the float bowl and now the engine appears to be running very well. <br /><br />I'll take the boat out tomorrow for a good test run and do any final tweaking on the lake. It will be interesting to see how it runs with all this new stuff.<br /><br />Thanks to everyone who helped me sort this out! <br /><br />Regards, crt.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

CSC, you've been an extra busy boy. Sounds like you are becoming quite the diagnostician. Hope your day of test rewards you for all of your stalwart labors. And I hope you have sun and warmth out for your test drive tomorrow.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

CRT..... congrats to your finding the problem.<br /><br />Now go fishing, crack open your favorite beverage, and have one for me while you're at it!

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone!<br /><br />You guys are the greatest!<br /><br />I'll tell you something, it's easy to become an effective diagnostician with so much great help! <br /><br />I've done a lot of internet research in the course of my work (both personal and professional) and I honestly have never seen such a proliferation of super nice and extremely knowledgable folks in one place before!<br /><br />This forum rocks and I hope I can become a worthy contributor!<br /><br />Now it's out to the water and it's a P E R F E C T day :D :cool: :) <br /><br />Full report to follow.<br /><br />Regards, crt.