It Stuck////

nofishjoe

Seaman Apprentice
I am running a 45 horse sears engine and I noticed there is a nice sized crack in the lower unitl.... I have attempted to remove the lower unit but apparently it don't wanna come off. I am afraid to pry on the thing because the engine is 30 years old and I wanna save as much as I can without paying a high cost to get fixed. Can anyone help on how to remove this piece oh junk to make my life easier. I suppose possibly it is the drive shaft but that I have no clue how to disconnect either. As you can tell I am new. Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: It Stuck////

Did you disconnect the shift linkage? This must be done for the lower unit to come off. This will be the connection where the shift lever connects to (normally under the front of the motor under the carb) a real PAIN IN THE BUTT to get to on some and often missed by the first timers.<br /><br />Bob

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey nofishjoe,<br />Why not think about fixing crack without removing lower unit. Grind out crack in a "V" shape, sand all paint off both sides of crack and patch with epoxy/talc mixture (or equivlant), sand smooth and paint.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

nofishjoe

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Great Idea hooty. I actually thought of that and did it about 3 hours earlier. Thank you for the advice. I just hope that would fix the problem. As for the shift linkage. I'll have to look for that issue. Thank you for the help