it sank....

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, woke up this morning and found my boat, still tied to the dock but on it's side and my Merc 90 HP 4 stroke completely submerged.

Aside from purchasing a new o/b any advise on how to clean it out (if it is even possible)?

I'm going to go find the tequila bottle now.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
Re: it sank....

Not surewhy it happened. We had 1.5 inches of rain last night. All I can think of is that the float switch did not do it's f$%*#ing job.

Just waiting for the boom truck to come and lift it up and put it on my trailer.

I've never felt so sorry for myself in my life.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

salt or fresh water? What ever you do get it running as SOON as it comes out of the water to halt corrosion. if its EFI then you might be in trouble but if its a carbed engine clean out the carbs, change the oil, put fresh gas in, and try t6o get it running as quick as possible.

ricksrster

Commander

If it was salt water you have to disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled using new gaskets, seals, and o-rings before starting. Start motor as soon as all the maintenance is completed.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

It is not EFI...just installed 4 new spark plugs...yes, did my maintenance a few days prior! argghh

The water is not salt, it is brackish though.

OldMercsRule

Captain

It is not EFI...just installed 4 new spark plugs...yes, did my maintenance a few days prior! argghh

The water is not salt, it is brackish though.

Very lucky not salt!!!! Change oil drain all the water out of every thing carbs etc you can think off put some fine oil in each cylinder after you turn her over gently, (by hand once the plugs are out) to get all the water out ot the cylinders and get her torched off and run her to get her warm and keep running her to completely dry her out. Rubbing alcohol can assist geting water out of some areas, (it will combine with the water and evaporate). Good luck!! JR

emckelvy

Commander

You can also use a hair dryer to help get some heat on the electronics.

If the electrical system still works after drying, you'll want to remove the spark plugs, stick them back in their boots, and lay against the block. Crank the engine over for a few seconds. This will blow any residual water out of the cylinders and you can also check for spark.

If you don't have spark, you need to oil up the motor's innards and get it to a shop. Regardless, drain the crankcase and refill. If there's spark, you've a chance to get it running again.

If the carbs have drain plugs or a jet plug that's a low point, remove those, hook up fresh gas to the motor and flush out. Catch the effluent with shop rags or other suitable container.

Don't forget to change the oil filter when you drain/refill the engine oil in preps for running the motor.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add some fuel conditioning additive like Seafoam (or any outboard mfr's equivalent) to the fresh gas. In fact, a few ounces of Seafoam in the oil ain't gonna hurt either!

If you get it running, take it out and run it at a good clip for at least an hour. You want to get it warmed up thoroughly so the last vestige of water will cook out of the innards.

As soon as you're done running, change the oil and filter again.

HTH & Good Luck............ed

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't need to disassemble the engine. You do need to drain the fuel tank and flush it. You need to immediately pull the plugs and drain the engine oil. You will get a great deal of water with it. Refill with engine oil -- cheap stuff will do for now. Do not try to start the engine (pull the kill switch) but spin the engine over with the starter to blow water out of the cylinders. Then pour some oil into each cylinder and turn the engine by hand to distribute that oil. Rig up a portable tank and fill it with fuel. Add a good dose of SeaFoam or other fuel system moisture absorber. If possible drain the carbs but this may not be necessary. Lastly again spin the engine over with the starter to get rid of excess oil in the cylinders. Install the plugs, insert the kill switch lanyard and fire the engine. It may run a little ragged until all the moisture is purged. You may need to change plugs a time or two so have a spare set handy. It is imperative that you get it running immediately. Obviously you need cooling water so muffs and a hose are necessary. Once running, let it run on slightly faster than normal idle. Let it run for a half hour or more if possible. Lower the idle speed to normal. If everything appears normal. Do another oil/filter change and you should be good to go. The on-board fuel tank will be the big issue. Copious amounts of fuel system cleaner is required and installation (even temporarily) of a water separating fuel filter would be advised. Good luck. I think your engine will live.