It looked like a gas cap...

markvictor

Seaman
Afriend in the coast guard told me about this a few years ago...A father and son had been out for a day of fishing in socal...The coast guard received a call from a frantic boat owner about an explosion/fire on their boat off Long Beach..Upon arrival, the owner expressed "a strong desire to be removed from his vessel" even though the fire had apparently blown itself out by virtue of its own explosion. After questioning the men, the following determination was made: The two men had exceeded the range of the fuel capacity of the boat, They had two 5 gallon jerry cans of gasoline on board for that reason. Investigators found that the explosion occured when a spark from the starter ignited the ten gallons of gasoline that the men had poured down one of the rod holders! Strange but true!<br />Regards,<br />markvictor

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: It looked like a gas cap...

Can anyone say flambe'? Yikes! :eek: ...JK

Moody Blue

Captain

OK, a trained fire fighter uses gasoline in a scenario like this :eek: What were they thinking ? Thats just plain stupid. He's lucky to be alive.

bandit86

Banned

wow. should have ran the blower for 4 minutes before throwing that torch in

T S N

Seaman Apprentice

:eek: Dont try this at home. These guys is ferpessionals!!! :) :) :)

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey I saw a guy at a petrol (gas) station put the hose in the rodholer on a boat with high gunwhales, he just undid the cap from in the boat, got out of the boat, picked up the hose and felt along for the "hole" stuck in the nozzle and put it on auto and sat back for a while to fill er up! sure filled her up alright! bad smell 30 or so gallons make in the bottom of a boat huh!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

noelm<br /> I had a cousin do that. to make matters worse once he realized he had just pumped about 20 gallons of gas in his bilge he pulled the plug and drove off :) . to make it much worse he was employed as a firefighter EMT here on the banks :) :) .<br /> but so far I have seen gas pumped into the waste holding tanks and freshwater tanks, just before i went to VE we had a customer add 130 gallons of water to his fuel tank. the water fill and fuel fill look almost identical and are side by side, however one says water and the other says Gas but no one was paying attention that day.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

not too sure whats worse a water tank full of fuel or a boat full of fuel, guess the water would not taste all that good for a while huh! the guy I saw just paid the bill and drove off,with all the gas just sloshing around on his floor, don't know what he did later to get rid of the petrol

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

He will use a longer stick next time. WOW!!! I'm referring to the fireman video..wow go boom!