It just died

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 Mercury 35hp elo. I have had all kinds of problems with this motor but this one happened today. I had Been fishing all day and jest came in to the bay to refuel and about 400 hundred yard out jest quits :eek: There was no waring like when you are going to run out of gas jest nothing. I pumped my primer bulb trying to get it to start but no dice. I tryed again then it started I put it in gear and it died 3 times. I rowed my 17 foot friber glass boat 2 miles on the way back to the trailer and it started and ran. I didn;t run good but it got me home. Any idea??? on what could cause this??? My second question is after my water pump was done I noticed a cloud of small bubbles coming out of the vent holes above the adnoid??? I looking at the water pump every thing is tight. Can't firgure it out:confused:????

I guess I am now wondering if this motor is worth my time. My merc dealer said this is one of the worst motors then have ever made and that there all destand for the bone yard:eek: :eek: :confused:. But of couse he has 6 junk ones out back if I ever needed parts.

Jest looking for your 2 cents be honest I can take it lol.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: It just died

I had a similar problem with the wifes 86 classic 50 a few years ago and the little water seperator was full of water. It has a little filter screen in there and it was clean and the fuel that we were using had no water in it but we did finish running through a tank of fuel from a camping trip that it rained for three days and I think water got in through the vent on the top of the tank. You might check it out. I just spun it off like an oil filter and poured out the contents in a glass and it was about 90% water.

jsayler

Recruit

This may sound stupid, but about 2 yrs ago, while on a fishing trip my friends boat did this to him, it would run for a awhile and then die. he made thee 5 mile trip back to boat ramp and got it on shore, tore everything apart and found nothing outta the norm. Finally someone stopped and ask the problem and started to laugh, then proceeded to ask him if he had checked the Lower Unit Oil. he put about 1 pump of Oil in and put it back in, and it ran like a champion.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

Up date I removed to fuel water seporator and it had noting but gas in it. The lower unit is full jest took care of it my self before the season. It seem to be more of a problem when its hot. It misfires or with it jest did to me jest die with no worning no spuddering nothing.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may have a powerpack or stator problem then. Sounds like you are loosing spark.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think your right somethings heating up and I am losing spark

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

do I need a dva to test it. If so were can I if the tread about making a dva?

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I jest got back from working on my motor and I think I found the problem I took the flywheel off and to my suprise the stator look melted. What would cause this?? any idea's??? Is there a way to test it with out a dva meter?Also the top plug had with looked like a carbon on it and the bottem plug was clean no oil nothing clean and dry.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may sound stupid, but about 2 yrs ago, while on a fishing trip my friends boat did this to him, it would run for a awhile and then die. he made thee 5 mile trip back to boat ramp and got it on shore, tore everything apart and found nothing outta the norm. Finally someone stopped and ask the problem and started to laugh, then proceeded to ask him if he had checked the Lower Unit Oil. he put about 1 pump of Oil in and put it back in, and it ran like a champion.

How would this affect the running of the motor?

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

My question is, was the "carbon" on the top plug black or white? If you find a dry plug thats not a good thing. On a two stroke there should always be some oil on the plugs and the tops of the pistons should be damp, the only halfway dry part should the electrode on the top of the plug. Dry plugs mean lean running and could have shut off due to internal engine damage. White or greyish buildup on the plugs means lean also. When you idle the mixture is almost souly depandant on the adjustment of the carb, once you hit the gas, the fuel is diverted through the highspeed jet and the mixture in the tank pretty much takes over. Soooo, if you were running a lean mixture in the tank, and the carb was set lean, and you idled alot....lean condition damage. Lean fuel in the tank, and running at high speed.....lean condition damage. And the stator....well, hopefully you find what caused the stator to "melt". I would also do a compression check on the motor just be on the safe side, and find out why you have a dry plug.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

The carbon on the top plug is black and covered the bottem half of the top plug. I did a compression test and it was 150 on the top and 148 on the bottem. This motor senice I have own it refuses to idle in gear it shugs spits then dies. I had the carb put in a hydro sonic bath and did a total rebuild. Before that it wouldn't idle at all I replace plugs and wires "lync and sync". Still the problem persists. The only thing I can think of now is eather theres not enough power getting to the plugs or bad reeds and or lower bottem end compression. I must add that it does run fine now but will die at random. Its a lot less predictable the higher the rpms go and for the longer you run it.:eek:

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Strange strange problem. The idle problem would seem to be fuel or carb problem, but the unpredictability seems to be electrical. Carbon on the plugs are normal but I would still investigate why the bottom plug was dry. The compression looks good though.