IT Helpdesk Classics

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Helpdesk: What kind of computer do you have?<br /><br />Female customer: A white one...<br /><br /> ----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Hi, this is Celine. I can't get my diskette out.<br /><br />Helpdesk: Have you tried pushing the button?<br /><br />Customer: Yes, sure, it's really stuck.<br /><br />Helpdesk: That doesn't sound good; I'll make a note ..."<br /><br />Customer: No .. wait a minute... I hadn't inserted it yet... it's<br /><br />still on my desk... sorry.<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: Click on the 'my computer' icon on to the left of the<br /><br />screen.<br /><br />Customer: Your left or my left?<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: Good day. How may I help you?<br /><br />Male customer: Hello... I can't print.<br /><br />Helpdesk: Would you click on start for me and ...<br /><br />Customer: Listen pal; don't start getting technical on me! I'm not<br /><br />Bill Gates damn it!<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Hi good afternoon, this is Martha, I can't print. Every time I try it<br /><br />says 'Can't find printer'.<br /><br />I've even lifted the printer and placed it in front of the monitor,<br /><br />but the computer still says he can't find it...<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Customer: I have problems printing in red...<br /><br />Helpdesk: Do you have a color printer?<br /><br />Customer: Aaaah....................thank you.<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: What's on your monitor now ma'am?<br /><br />Customer: A teddy bear my boyfriend bought for me in the<br /><br />supermarket.<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: And now hit F8.<br /><br />Customer: It's not working.<br /><br />Helpdesk: What did you do, exactly?<br /><br />Customer: I hit the F-key 8-times as you told me, but nothing's<br /><br />happening...<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Customer: My keyboard is not working anymore.<br /><br />Helpdesk: Are you sure it's plugged into the computer?<br /><br />Customer: No. I can't get behind the computer.<br /><br />Helpdesk: Pick up your keyboard and walk 10 paces back.<br /><br />Customer: OK<br /><br />Helpdesk: Did the keyboard come with you?<br /><br />Customer: Yes<br /><br />Helpdesk: That means the keyboard is not plugged in. Is there<br /><br />another keyboard?<br /><br />Customer: Yes, there's another one here. Ah...that one does work!<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: Your password is the small letter a as in apple, a capital<br /><br />letter V as in Victor, the number 7.<br /><br />Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />A customer couldn't get on the internet.<br /><br />Helpdesk: Are you sure you used the right password?<br /><br />Customer: Yes I'm sure. I saw my colleague do it.<br /><br />Helpdesk: Can you tell me what the password was?<br /><br />Customer: Five stars.<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: What antivirus program do you use?<br /><br />Customer: Netscape.<br /><br />Helpdesk: That's not an antivirus program.<br /><br />Customer: Oh, sorry...Internet Explorer.<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Customer: I have a huge problem. A friend has placed a screensaver on<br /><br />my computer, but every time I move the mouse, it disappears!<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: Microsoft Tech. Support, may I help you?<br /><br />Old woman: Good afternoon! I have waited over 4 hours for you.<br /><br />Can you please tell me how long it will take before you can help me?<br /><br />Helpdesk: Uhh..? Pardon, I don't understand your problem?<br /><br />Old woman: I was working in Word and clicked the help button more<br /><br />than 4 hours ago.<br /><br />Can you tell me when you will finally be helping me?<br /><br />----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Helpdesk: How may I help you?<br /><br />Customer: I'm writing my first e-mail.<br /><br />Helpdesk: OK, and, what seems to be the problem?><br /><br />Customer: Well, I have the letter 'a' in the address, but how do I<br /><br />get the circle around it? <br /><br /> :D ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: IT Helpdesk Classics

:D :D :D and their real transcripts right?<br /><br />Aldo

Kenneth Brown

Captain

"Helpdesk: Your password is the small letter a as in apple, a capital<br /><br />letter V as in Victor, the number 7.<br /><br />Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?"<br /><br />That ain't funny man, been there, done that. Sometimes it all just starts to sound the same.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My IT person helped me 'fix' my computer after I did something dumb. When the job was completed, I asked him exactly how the problem started. He replied that it was an "ID Ten T" error.<br />(i-d-1-0-t)

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Helpdesk: India<br /><br />Click

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a friend who is obviously related to Celine ring me with this same problem a few weeks ago, when we had got to the point of discussing whether she could hold the flap open to see and possibly prise the disk out or I drive over there and remove the floppy drive and get the disk out, she discovered the disk on the desk under her "computers for dummies" book. <br /><br />Bob

ebbtide176

Commander

every day i talk to people that don't even know whether they have a dumb terminal or windows pc...<br /><br />most don't know if their printer is plugged into their pc or a data jack on the wall.<br /><br />most don't even know what a modem looks like.<br /><br />most don't know where the file server is located.<br /><br />seriously :rolleyes: <br /><br />sometimes you just wanna suggest they box it all up, ship it back, and go back to a pencil, paper & big eraser :D

spratt

Lieutenant

I have actually gone out on service calls where a brand new computer was all set up but woul dnot power up...the thing was not plugged intot he wall...I got to charge them one hour labor ($85) plus a travel charge ($20)...just to plug the computer in:)<br /><br />I have lots of stories to tell after 15 years in this industry!!!<br /><br />I once had to recover some deleted files on a Macintosh that were letters his wife had sent / received from her lover...they were to be used in court...not telling whether I read them or not, but I did get them recovered...he was ecstatic!!!<br /><br />Yep, lots of stories...

spratt

Lieutenant

My granddaughters are living with me for a while...the 3 1/2 yr old has some programs she plays with on the PC...last night I overheard her telling her sister to "Courtney, give me the squirrel!!"...the squirrel being the mouse!!! I cracked up, but didn't correct her...thought it was so cute...

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Soooooo True. It's always fun to discuss 'war stories' with other IT Techs. The dumb things users do - then look for someone to fix it before thinking for them selves. Like spratt - can't tell you how many times it been umpluged or just not turned on! <br /><br />Like that "ID 10 T" error! <br /><br />May I also rant a little - hate it when you get a help desk overseas. They can't speak english, or understand it. Ask them where they're located and they give you a location in the US - ask a few ? and it oblivous they have no clue where in the US they are talking about!

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Helpdesk: Hi, how can I help you today?<br /><br />Customer: I was just wandering whether or not y'all got that air bubble out of the phone line yet. It still won't let me get online.<br /><br />PS: This is a true story. It happened to my cousin when he worked for bellsouth tech support. The lady had called a different support center and they were getting tired of dealing with her and told her that there was an air bubble in the phone line that was interfering with her internet. :D

b20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ring,ring<br />Hi,can I help you?<br /><br />customer : how do I set the time on my machine.<br /><br />me : in the book i gave you with your machine, on page 26 it will tell you. Click.<br /><br />ring,ring,<br />Hi,how can I help you?<br /><br />same customer : that book has a different color machine in it.<br /><br />me : its the same as yours ma'am.Click.<br /><br />ring,ring<br />Hi,how can I help you?<br /><br />Same customer,again : what time is it in GMT?<br /><br />Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by jee70611:<br /> Helpdesk: Hi, how can I help you today?<br /><br />Customer: I was just wandering whether or not y'all got that air bubble out of the phone line yet. It still won't let me get online.<br /><br />PS: This is a true story. It happened to my cousin when he worked for bellsouth tech support. The lady had called a different support center and they were getting tired of dealing with her and told her that there was an air bubble in the phone line that was interfering with here internet. :D
ME thinks the "bubble" was on top of the user's neck:)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Help Desk: Can I have your Computers serial number please?<br /><br />Me: yes, one second ...it's in the trash with the rest of the little pieces...<br /><br />Help Desk: <<< silence >>> .... *click*<br /><br /> :D

spratt

Lieutenant

A lady struck up a conversation with me on an airplane. <br />Her: "And where are you going?" <br />Me: "I'm going to San Francisco to a UNIX convention." <br />Her: "Eunuchs convention? I didn't know there were that many of you."

spratt

Lieutenant

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee with a caller:<br /><br />"Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"<br /><br />"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."<br /><br />"What sort of trouble?"<br /><br />"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."<br /><br />"Went away?"<br /><br />"They disappeared."<br /><br />"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"<br /><br />"Nothing."<br /><br />"Nothing?"<br /><br />"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."<br /><br />"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"<br /><br />"How do I tell?"<br /><br />"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"<br /><br />"What's a sea-prompt?"<br /><br />"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"<br /><br />"There isn't any cursor, I told you, it won't accept anything I type."<br /><br />"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"<br /><br />"What's a monitor?"<br /><br />"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"<br /><br />"I don't know."<br /><br />"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"<br /><br />"Yes, I think so."<br /><br />"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."<br /><br />".......Yes, it is."<br /><br />"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"<br /><br />"No."<br /><br />"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."<br /><br />".......Okay, here it is."<br /><br />"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."<br /><br />"I can't reach."<br /><br />"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"<br /><br />"No."<br /><br />"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"<br /><br />"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."<br /><br />"Dark?"<br /><br />"Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."<br /><br />"Well, turn on the office light then."<br /><br />"I can't."<br /><br />"No? Why not?"<br /><br />"Because there's a power outage."<br /><br />"A power... A power outage? Ah, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?" <br /><br />"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."<br /><br />"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."<br /><br />"Really? Is it that bad?"<br /><br />"Yes, I'm afraid it is."<br /><br />"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"<br /><br />"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

spratt

Lieutenant

Sorry about the big ol' avatar..trying to find a good one...

Twidget

Commander

Email to IT from me... I am having trouble with replicating in Lotus Notes. I can send email, but cannot receive pleace call my cell number *** ***-***x.<br /><br />Sent this email 3 times. Finally got frustrated, called and got the problem fixed after a week.(Im a remote employee and this is my only contact with the home office.) Upon replicating, I discovered 3 emails explaining how to fix my receive problem. <br /><br />Another story. This is a mini rant...<br /><br />Customers Help Desk updates software in all their locations. Beeper starts going off at 5 am. <br />Customer: All our sites are down, we need the servers replaced and terminals repaired. <br /><br />Me: Did you do a software upgrade last night?<br /><br />Customer: Well, yes, buth that doesnt have anything to do with it.<br /><br />Me: Was everything running before the upgrade:<br /><br />Customer: yes, but that doesnt have anything to do with it.<br /><br />Me: If it was all working before you changed the software, there probably isnt much I can do to help.<br /><br />Customer: Hold on for a second.<br /><br />Customers head honcho: So, do I understand you are refusing to honor your contract? <br /><br />After 4 hours, they finally agreed to back out the 'upgrade' and everything started working again.