It came alive!

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, you may have read about my project im working on... Today was a day of progress. The 1974 85hp Johson came alive the first time for about a decade. After lots of cranking, it woke up and revved high and loud! I wonder what to do next though. I think the carbs need to be adjusted or cleaned. My plan is really to wait till the boat will take its engine back... and then do the fine tuning, but now Im excited, and I want to get this baby running like a champ. Any advice? I plan to rebuild the carbs this winter, but want to drive the boat around before then.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: It came alive!

Make sure that when you run it that you have the muffs on.<br /><br />I would do carbs - water pump - t-stats - change gear oil. I would try to avoid the temptation to fiddle & putter with adjusting this or that till you get it running. Also get the OMC manual if you haven't already.<br /><br />While you are waiting for your boat, set the engine down with the cylinder heads up and remove the plugs. Pour a couple of tablespoons of Marvel Myster oil in each cylinder and rotate the flywheel one rev to get the oil to the rings.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I bought two carb kits and thermostat with gasket. How long will this job take? I dont have any experience with thi, but I have worked on cars alot.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It will take a few hours the first time you do it, Vegard, if you have a manual.<br /><br />Without the Manual you would be skating on thin ice.<br /><br /> http://www.outboardrepairs.com/manuals/ <br /><br />Good luck. :)

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the manual, so hopefully it will go smoothly. Thanks for the replies.